Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   Intro BMW E30 Sports Sedan - SR20DET (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/39739-intro-bmw-e30-sports-sedan-sr20det.html)

Damo69 22-01-2011 03:11 PM

Intro BMW E30 Sports Sedan - SR20DET

G'day Guys,

i have introduced myself and my STI previously but am now introducing my E30 BMW, i am slotting a 95 SR20DET blacktop into and building it to compete in the sports sedans 1.5l - 3l class

i just recieved all my parts i had fabbed up in thailand - some surprisingly good quality - better than expected regarding welding etc.

i will chuck some pics up monday morning after i have installed a few bits and pieces. and update with progress as i get around to it. hoping to knock it on the head by the end of the year.

i didnt know where to start a build thread, here seemed appropriate

also i would like to keep it documented the build process for my own information here seemed like an appropriate place to share the love.

The overall concept of the car is as follows:
1990 BMW E30 4 door sedan, stripped out and prepped for racing. i am attempting to keep it street registered for driving to events and such. i have been informed this shouldnt be an issue with recieving a permit to do this. Plan B my mate owns a trailor fab shop can set me up with a car trailer.

BMW E30 4 door
Engine:- 95 Nissan Blacktop SR20DET
Gearbox:- Nissan Skyline 5 speed
Dif:- R33 Skyline, custom drive shaft and modified skyline half shafts

Suspension:- Coil overs, castor camber adjustment, sway bars, f/r strut braces. i tried to source these locally through various outlets but no one had the experience for set up etc or the best products, so this will be sourced from Ireland Engineering in the USA.

Will be slotting in a BMW Z3 steering rack

Brakes:- 6 spot front calipers, 4 spot rears, adjustable brake bias, pedal set with built in booster. same situation as above, sourced from Ireland Engineering in the states. 5 stub pattern

Chassis:- custom engine mounts, gearbox mounts, rear Dif mounts, 6 point cage. all custom mounts sourced from K-Conversions. 6 point cage more than likely torque fabrications.

Interior:- stripped, sound deadner removed, AC removed, poxy stereo removed, roof lining, a folded piece of sheet alley will have to suffice. at this stage.

ECU:- basically removing all existing engine wiring and having the entire car re-wired by either Pro race or Hyperdrive. pending on who i choose and what they feel more comfortable tuning with, will dictate what ECU i will utilise

[B]Other to be completed in 2 or so years:-[/B] considering a DTM Widebody kit, but due to the 6k cost to get it landed in AUS that can wait until the final stage.

so once i get it all together and tuned i will do a few shake down laps to get the suspension set up, brakes dialed in. and get back into the groove of racing again. i will also look into getting a 2.2 built motor for a race reliable 320 - 350 rwkws in a car set to weigh in at 850kgs - 925 kgs :3gears:

i will be trying to do all the work on my car myself, with the assistance of a few key people. so i can get back into some hardcore racing without ruining my daily, i used to race karts when i was younger.

the plan for sunday is to re-clean / set up the shed. Rip out AC and old wiring loom. time and hangover permitting pressure wash the engine bay, fit up the new steering rack and dummy fit the new rear end assembly.

state the obvious sunday below will get them up monday morning, just had some time to kill at work
:worthless

RUSSGT 22-01-2011 03:35 PM

That sounds like the best project EVER!

So jelous!

apg39 22-01-2011 03:44 PM

Hurry up with the f*cking pics already.

V3 RA 22-01-2011 04:59 PM

nice work mate! Looking forward to seeing some progress pics!

nikftw 22-01-2011 05:18 PM

E30's ftw :D

saturation 23-01-2011 12:13 AM

subscribed...

chee 23-01-2011 01:34 AM

pics!

urabus 23-01-2011 01:40 AM

Any reason for choosing a 4 door over a 2 door?

Awesome project either way.

Brendon

Julz 23-01-2011 10:49 AM

Popcorn out waiting for pics :D

monkeee 23-01-2011 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=saturation;529727]subscribed...[/QUOTE]

Likewise :cool: