Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Scoobie Noobie

liam_dee at standard level
Default Introduction with a Bang

Hey guys,

I'm formally introducing myself, after lurking these forums for years. I have met a small few of you in person at the tracks, and my involvement in the racing community, like some others, has relied heavily on the help of Alex.

Unfortunately, my reputation round here has been given the opportunity to proceed me. Due to this little diddy (attached Picture).

So there has been a lot of speculation about what happened. A lot of anger at the accident based on assumptions that I was pushing too hard. I guess I was to a degree, but not in a car sense. The story goes like this;

I was working in Albany on the hospital at the time, doing 12 to 14 Hour days. I drove (5 hours) back for the event on the Thursday, and got home about 2pm. I proceeded to then change over my brake pads that I had got the weekend before and was excited about using. I bedded them in on the way to picking up my partner/co-driver from work.

I was feeling a little tired, but had already paid to play, so I went ahead anyway (a mistake I will never make again).

All night, I was lined up behind the ADVAN sponsored porsche. Every time it left the line, it was blowing REAL rich black smoke. PLEASE NOTE: I, in no way blame anyone else for the crash but myself. However, it is said that 6 factors must go wrong for an accident to occur. This was one.

On my first run, my brake pedal went a bit spongy. With fear that I had boiled the brake fluid on account of the new pads, I backed off. On my second run, I started easy, and ramped up. The brakes felt different, but were pulling up ok.

The run I crashed, was the first dark run for me of the night. My co-driver asked if I needed pace notes, but by the third run, I normally have the course dialed, so i said no.

Heres where it all comes together;
On the line, another layer of petrol/oil is added to my screen.
Tiredness has kicked in, and I simply forget to put on my High beams.
I launch, and come to the first corner, and the road markings are criss crossing, a factor that I hadent noticed the other times I had done this event (whiteline fever from tiredness). I come out of the first corner, and the road is bending away into nothingness (slight right hander on incline). It's at this point, I forget where I am on the course, on my GoPro video you hear me say "I can't see S**t!". I have got up to my max speed of this section, and now am coasting with my foot off the pedals trying to gather myself. I see the barrier, come into view. Time slows down (2 second period): "I yell F***!" I hit the brake, I turn in, I see we are not going to make it, I Turn back hard to try and hit square (an idea I had imbedded in my brain that I would always do if I crashed).

That's how it happened. You may argue I was pushing too hard, you may get angry with me for doing what I did. I have learned from this, at the cost of my car (fortunately only that). I will share something else with you too; On that night, In my mind, I was taking every precaution, and had I asked for pace notes OR had I turned on my high beams OR had I not had oil on my screen Or had I not boiled my brakes? I might have been fine, and I would conduct myself in the same way as I did that night. But, all of those things happened, and now I know $120 is a small price to pay if you feel a bit tired. It's cheaper than the $17k it cost me in that car, or the $14K in my new car, and its cheaper than your life.

DONT DRIVE TIRED!

Thanks everyone. Happy to be here.
Attached Thumbnails
Crash at night.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

It'll buff out.
drewgong likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Welcome

Seagulls will be circling
grape juice likes this.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
It'll buff out.
I tried some Meguiars and a hammer... She no good.

As a direct result, will be parting out.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Welcome, so you crashed racing ? You're aren't the first and certainly won't be the last. Hard luck with the car and hopefully it doesn't happen again.
grape juice and drewgong like this.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Doesn't look "that" bad?

Hasn't bent roof, doesn't look to have gone far enough to bend a rail, has it busted the covers and belt?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_dee View Post
As a direct result, will be parting out.
How much for drivers seat?

I'm assuming standard bugeye wrx seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Doesn't look "that" bad?
Judging by that pic I'd say easy $5,000 - $7,000 'if not more', going through a panel shop.

Last edited by mARC; 04-07-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDrifter View Post
Welcome, so you crashed racing ? You're aren't the first and certainly won't be the last. Hard luck with the car and hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Agree, hard luck with the car though mate. Seems you've taking it on the chin, we take a risk every time get behind the wheel of the car. Whether thats in motorsport or just driving down to the shops. Thrill is almost directly proportional to the risk taken. We all have our own opinion on where the risk does not out weigh the pleasure and thats the beauty, its only for us to decide, no one else.

I wait to see photos of you back out there again, hopefully not with the car looking the same.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
Old 04-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Doesn't look "that" bad?

Hasn't bent roof, doesn't look to have gone far enough to bend a rail, has it busted the covers and belt?
Haha, yeah, doesnt LOOK that bad. All drive belts torn, gear box shifted, suspension arm passenger snapped, radiator now a part of the engine lol. TBO, I don't know the extent of engine damage. It's a situation where it would cost of money AND time to get the engine to a runnable test level, and it all could be for naught. I brought another bug eye, and 02 STi.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
How much for drivers seat?

I'm assuming standard bugeye wrx seats?

Judging by that pic I'd say easy $5,000 - $7,000 'if not more', going through a panel shop.
Best mate next to me is a panel beater (shit one), he said almost double that.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."

Tags
bang, crash, introduction, mccrae, rallysprint