Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Scoobie Noobie

QRSTUVWRX at standard level
Default Trav's GC8 Introduction

Hi Perth WRX,

So a bit of a summary, my name is Travis and I joined Perth WRX after buying a modified MY00 GC8 WRX back in August 2014. I would have been more involve within the club, however after track day with friends in October 2014, the engine shat itself and I had to wait 6 months until the car engine was rebuilt and a few more months after that for a run in and tune. With the car running well (with help from the Doug & Damien from STechnic), will be looking to go out for a few cruises and track days starting in 2016 and trying to learn as much as I can progressing forward.

BTW, I got my username from a guy at school that lost a bet that he couldn’t say the alphabet. He made it to W before slipping in an extra R before the X.

So the history of my cars and driving experiences;

My interest in cars started on PlayStation 1 with a lent copy of Gran Turismo from my father's friend. Our weapon of choice was the Mitsi Gallant modified to the max. We then progressed to GT2 with Mk3 supra. Then the next generation of console was PS2 with games like V8 supercars, GT3, GT4, NFS Underground. I think GT3 is the best game that has been released at its time, however I may be biased as I sunk days into that game completing each race.

During the GT4 tenure as the current game, I received my driver's learning permit on my birthday in 2005. Armed in a XF falcon tank (auto), my first drive was in the middle of winter at night, pissing down in rain. Our family later bought a 80 series Landcruiser (manual) which was a blast to drive due to the novelty of gears, however the turbo diesel lacked real power. I did the majority of driving in the country with the occasional trip to the city.

I got my provisional license on my birthday the following year in 2006 and had use of a family owned EB falcon (auto), then eventually had my own ED falcon (auto). I moved to Perth for university, then eventually bought a manual AU falcon ute in 2008 (couldn't afford a Holden VU). I still have the falcon at the end of 2015, but it has seen better days.

My friends recently bought an Evo 7 & S15 Silvia and was looking to track their vehicles. Getting swept up in the excitement, I wanted to a new car. I test drove a 86/BRZ sports car however it was one random day I saw a modified blue GC8, with forgies and an upgraded turbo spitting out 270kW@18psi, I thought this car had more bang for your buck than the 86/BRZ. With an additional 2 doors that could fit more people inside, more power and about the 3rd of the price of the 86/BRZ, I bought the car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Known mods at time of purchase;
• 2.5L conversion (later found out open deck, but strengthened by welding bars to make a "semi-closed" deck)
• Microtech ECU (near impossible to tune in WA)
• Blitz EBC
• Argo Rods & Pistons
• GT 3040 Turbo
• 6 speed STi gearbox
• NOS (every boy likes NOS due to F&F and NFS underground)
• Rays WRP10’s
• Kenwood sound system with subs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car was a blast to drive in particular when the giant turbo spools up at 5000rpm. A few friends went for a blat to Canning Dam and as we are pulling up, a radiator hose blows and dumps all the water from the cooling system to the ground. Lucky enough, it was in the carpark and we switched it off immediately and fix the problem the following day. A few weeks later after the hose blowing, I blew a radiator on my way to work. Not ideal, but it was bloody handy signing up for RAC roadside assistance. With a RAC track day coming up with friends, STechnic replaced the blown radiator with a genuine Subaru radiator and got me going again, however it wasn’t the end to that saga.

Somewhere in between blowing radiator parts, I bought a set of MCA Red coilovers (10kg Front / 8kg Rear) to sharpen up the handling. I was planning to fit these prior to the RAC trackday, however the order was delayed due to an influx of orders.

So excited about my first track day, I was having a ball out on the track. On some cheap Nankang tyres and near stock suspension, the car understeered like crazy and had no grip. I was being caught in the corners (my driving probably doesn’t help), however on the straights, it went like stink. After a few laps, the water temperature sky rocketed whilst on the track and I headed back into the “pits”. We topped up the coolant and have a quick look over the car and headed back onto the track sometime later. The same issue showed itself, so I retired the car for the day and was hoping there wasn’t significant damage to my new toy.

I booked the car into STechnic to have a look over the car and see what the damage was. It was my worst nightmare, with a hairline crack in the cylinder which we suspect was pressurising the cooling system blowing hoses and radiators. Further assessment identified the cams were flogged out and a new short block would be needed. We had a couple of options, either stick with the 2.5L or revert back to the 2.0L engine and either rebuild with completely new parts or use a combination of reconditioned and new parts. Damien from STechnic and I spoke about the purpose of the build and decided on making it a torque monster as it would be my daily and use at the RAC track. We stuck with the 2.5L because of more torque and the coilovers I bought were suited for a 2.5L conversion.

We ran the motor in, but it need a tune to ensure longevity of the engine and be able to make the maximum (safe) power possible. With no tuners in Perth keen to tune a microtech GC8, STechnic pulled out the existing ECU and replaced it with a Link. While we were at this stage, I thought it was a good idea to swap the existing 3040 turbo with a more responsive Garrett GTX3067.

Current mods as of the end of 2015;
• Second hand EJ257
• Scat Racing Connecting Rods
• CP Racing forged pistons
• King Racing bearings
• Kelford Cams & Valve Springs
• Garrett GTX3067
• Link ECU
• 6 speed STi gearbox
• Rays WRP10’s wrapped in AD08 215/45R17
• New Alpine head unit & Hertz front speakers (& removed the sub box from the car)

Allstar Garage completed the tune, however it only made about 300hp@13psi before the clutch started slipping. Now I am researching and saving up for a new clutch.

Things I have learnt;
• Buying a modified car will always be a risk. I bought it with my heart instead of my head and probably should have bought a STi and have an engine built.
• I assumed the drivetrain could handle the power, however I will be needing a new clutch to be able to use the full potential of the engine.
• Coilovers make a huge difference to handling of the vehicle and would recommend this is the first mod anyone does.
davidsdh, Top-Deck, Patch and 2 others like this.
Old 24-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Welcome ... Seems you been through all the bad bits of Subaru ownership. Hopefully all goes well from here.
dazdavies likes this.
Old 25-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Never heard of coil overs suited to the engine? Since both engines are identical in weight and shape.
type25 and nick73 like this.

http://kap.industries/

Last edited by RUSSGT; 26-12-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 25-12-2015, 08:58 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Needs a TL;DR
astralex likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to matto20v For This Useful Post:
VUSSUTE (11-01-2016)
Old 25-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Welcome!

I would say it can only get better, but with cars that is never true. There is always something else just waiting to fail.
Old 26-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Welcome ... Seems you been through all the bad bits of Subaru ownership. Hopefully all goes well from here.
Well I am definitely learning things as things break however it is not the ideal way to learn as the wallet is getting raped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Never heard of coil overs suited to the engine? Since both engines are identical in weight and shape.
True, True. At the time of purchase I was fairly green to car mechanicals, in particular Subarus and just wanted to make sure the car wouldn't be unbalanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [GTI] View Post
Welcome!

I would say it can only get better, but with cars that is never true. There is always something else just waiting to fail.
Or wanting to upgrade something
Old 09-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Scoobie Noobie

I have received the dyno plot from Allstars yesterday and was a little bit disappointed in how quickly the torque curve fell away however overall the car is a lot better to drive compared to the previous fitted turbo.

I can't wait to get it onto the track and have some fun with it however will be on a hunt for a new clutch that will be suitable for 300kW. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Tune 272hp-371Nm-91kPag.JPG  
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Jim berry in qld makes a good clutch.
type25 likes this.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...4cwNmTEPbPD0hg
Old 10-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Jim berry in qld makes a good clutch.
^^can not recommend Jim Berry clutches enough, have used them in various cars including drag, street, race and rally and never had an issue.

Tags
gc8, introduction, my00, trav, wrx