Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 04:46 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

ZiN at standard level

Changing the tip (the end pipes sticking out of the muffler) is more cosmetic than anything. You can get different sized silencers the diameter of the hole will determine how restrictive or quiet it is. You can also remove it when you want to, however will you?

The resonator doesn't restrict flow, it's often an increase in pipe diameter in the middle of the exhaust system to reduce certain sound frequencies or drone. While driving you might notice cabin noise resonates and gets louder at some rpm's, this helps match those frequencies to cut them out. Doesn't decrease overall noise or sound.

You could just change out your muffler, second hand will probably be just as good. If your lucky you could do it yourself and just bolt it on. You may need someone to weld it on for you, but you should be able to find a cheap second hand solution.

You could swap in a Varex muffler if you wanted and flick the switch to quiet before you enter the street. Much better than a silencer, I don't see the point in getting a noisey cannon then trying to silence it anyway.
Old 26-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Sir AntiLag

Okibi at standard level

You can just get a varex muffler welded onto your existing system, chat to Pete at Carline Mufflers in Newcastle St Northbridge. He's an exceptionally great bloke.
Top-Deck likes this.
Old 26-08-2016, 10:08 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Top-Deck at standard level

As Okibi said above, you can order just the Varex muffler section, which should bolt straight onto your existing turbo-back system. From memory the muffler section is ~$350-400 (not installed), and really does give you the best of both worlds, definitely worth it in the long run in my opinion.
Old 26-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ben628 at standard level

Thanks guys,

I range a few places today and most of the quotes I get would cost me around $700 - $1000 installed.

It does look like the ideal way to go about, I'm kicking myself for not doing it at the start and trying to skimp and went with the standard Cannon type of muffler.

This is probably a silly question but would any brand muffler bolts on to the existing X-Force System? so if say for example I found an APEXI or Remus Muffler, can this be incorporated to the current piping etc?

Thanks again guys.

Tags
exhaust, sound