Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Direwolf at standard level
Default 99 wrx

Hi,

Bought a 99 wrx a couple of months ago. What was going to be a still-fun-but-can-use-for-work has turned into what I like to look at as a rescued puppy...

Has an EBC, 00 rims, 3" exhaust, pod, that's about it

I thought I would sign up and see if I can get some definitive answers, because there seems to be a lot of maybes and "I did it and it worked, but probably won't for you".

1) I need a new exhaust, the one on there is too loud (I realized I am getting old...) to be able to use every day and I was wondering if a GD STi exhaust will fit?

2.1) The dash is a little old and I would like to know if anyone on here has done a GD dash swap and if so, how hard it really is?
2.2) If it is a real pain, what have other people done to make them look better/updated?

3) There is a slight whistle noise just before it comes on boost, can't hear it when actually on boost, but after the flutter dies down (bov blocked, and pod) there is a slight whistle after that, it seems delayed a little bit, any clues? Had a front mount, but removed by the previous owner as well as blocked bov.

4) There is a knock in the front, when braking and accelerating in the front, I have had the suspension bushes checked and they apparently seem fine, and I have had the swaybar end links replaced but it is still there, any ideas?

5) Anyone seen any DIY on changing over dash/crashpads? Mine is faded in some areas, found a good condition one though, just need to install it.

Thank you
Old 22-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

(1) no, a GD exhaust wont bolt up. What muffler does the exhaust already have because a good way to keep the performance exhaust but give it street manners is a nice straight through oval muffler. Will make it civil when driving around but still a nice noise at wide open throttle.

(2.1) A GD dash is not for the faint-hearted, there are a few Australian threads on doing the swap but mostly American one which are not ideal as there are obvious differences.

(2.2) If the dash is in reasonable condition maybe consider a nice dash mat can clean it up, and also a later model steering wheel makes the car feel less aged.

(3) Could be a number of things but sounds like a possible boost leak.

(4) Could be a bad strut / coilover, maybe the top mounting nuts are not 100% tight, maybe a sway bar mount is not tight.

(5) No, sorry.
Old 22-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Direwolf at standard level

Thanks for the reply appreciate the answers!
Old 22-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

No worries mate.

Tags
99, wrx