Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > The Law and Politics- Locally and Abroad
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

I can not help but wonder what the agenda of that article is. Almost everything in it they are purporting as fact is a crock of shit. Sounds more like the construction side of things anyway...
Old 15-04-2012, 11:22 AM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Surely the agenda is to try and move away from a reliance on FIFO workers and to try and encourage the government to fund regional residency programs for the workforce?
Old 15-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

they tried that in ravensthorpe, and like most towns in the NW, become abandoned and slums once the work moves on.

i think theres nothing wrong with FIFO during a boom time.

Long live the WRC
Old 15-04-2012, 11:27 AM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Exactly, I think it would take some insane incentives to lure the workforce out of the metro area. I mean after a few weeks working in the heat and dust Im thoroughly looking forward to city life on break w/ the beach, bars and general normality.
Old 15-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Scoobie Noobie

blackevo at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle View Post
I can not help but wonder what the agenda of that article is. Almost everything in it they are purporting as fact is a crock of shit. Sounds more like the construction side of things anyway...
The roster quoted in the article was a construction roster. What else you gunna do at a greenfields construction site - WORK???
Old 15-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackevo View Post
The roster quoted in the article was a construction roster. What else you gunna do at a greenfields construction site - WORK???
A JSA and a fistful of Take 5's should blow 12 hours easy
Old 15-04-2012, 06:19 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

trblmkr at standard level

I spent over 12 months on Barrow island and the 26/9 is hard yards.
Especially since in the beginning as there was SFA to do after work and every one fed off the shitty vibe.
The new accommodation... well you would pay for rooms like that.
Wouldn't pay much mind you but they are pretty nice, best accom I have ever had.

Having said that, I don't know any where a truck driver can earn $180k, never exceed 60km/hr and never drive more than 45mins at a time.
For a 10hr day.

If you like the money you suck it up, if you don't..... well it is FIFO.
FIT IN or FUCK OFF.
I hate sooks on a work site and I LOATH unions that enable them.
Safety in another story.

12 Months was enough for me. Now I'm 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off and still make $150k+.
MUA for the win.
Old 15-04-2012, 06:31 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

ferozaj at standard level

didnt work in mining (oil and gas) spent months away at a time... people complain about 2 on 1 off... i did up to 6 weeks on...few days off...

People need to harden up..if you dont like it leave.
Old 15-04-2012, 06:53 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

Yeah the salaries are stupidly high for a reason. Lifes tough. If you can't handle it for what ever reason you can fuck off back to Perth and earn a normal wage like the rest of Australia.

That said, a lot of companies will bend you over and buttrape you without lube just because they can. There is always some little indian or burmese guy that will happily take your place. Then it's all the supervisors problem to deal with a guy with no experiance or skills who can't understand basic instructions, communicate with other staff or wipe his bottom without help.

*Bah I started writing a rant about my previous company and what happened to industry wages directly because of them and their ethics but I had heart palpitations from just thinking about it. Will just say... I know of workers on mine sites working 2&1 for around $60k. As much as I despise unions, one would make a huge difference to people in that company!
Old 15-04-2012, 07:44 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
they tried that in ravensthorpe, and like most towns in the NW, become abandoned and slums once the work moves on.

i think theres nothing wrong with FIFO during a boom time.
The vast majority of mining production jobs offer a 8/6 & 7/7 FIFO roster NOT 2/1 or 3/1 FIFO as quoted. Construction jobs only last while the mine is built and then its over. The rosters they work are much longer but in most cases dont see them working 12 hours days like they do in production. I love all these journos who quote rubbish without doing any research.

In general it is extremely difficult to find people who want to take up residential jobs in the places that we mine in this state. Why is this? Because of the remote locations, harsh climates, lack of facilities, schools, and the non-reflectives who inhabit the area. I have been recruiting and providing labour to mining and oil/gas companies for over 15 years in WA and I can not imagine this will ever change no matter what unions and bleeding heart greenies say. If you dont want a FIFO job then there are plenty of residential options available to you but I doubt your girlfriend, or wife and kids will want to stay once they see what it is like. Sunday times and Perth Now stories should always be taken with a grain of salt or 20.

Tags
note, numpties, union