Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Engine Light On !!! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/10318-engine-light.html)

BALISTC 18-02-2007 12:10 PM

Could also be 3rd cat over-temp, but that also normally brings limp home mode, not just a CEL.

MKVIGTI 18-02-2007 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Pommie]I have the same problem also. Mainly does it when down-shifting to overtake and the rev's approach red-line. There's one helluva jolt, engine light comes on and the cruise control light flashes, also disabling the cruise control function.
I've been told it's caused from the ECU detecting 'over-boost'?!?! and the only remedy is to disconnect the battery or pull out the ECU for a few seconds.
It's ok around around town but on a country run it really sh!ts me as it only does it when cruising above 130km/h*. Surely there's a fix for this?

*speeds above the posted legal limit were undertaken on privately owned sealed roads under controlled environments. :D[/QUOTE]

Mine has done it once at the drags and every lap I tried at Barbagello. Turn the key on and of 10 or 12 times and it will go away. Might have to start it and turn it off a few times but it does clear.

Pommie 18-02-2007 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=MSR]Mine has done it once at the drags and every lap I tried at Barbagello. Turn the key on and of 10 or 12 times and it will go away. Might have to start it and turn it off a few times but it does clear.[/QUOTE]
i'll try that next time, but what's the best method of finding the cause so it can be rectified or possibly by-passed??
(overtaking someone then suddenly having your forehead slammed into the windscreen as the car bucks like a rodeo bull - not cool!!) :icon_blac

MKVIGTI 18-02-2007 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Pommie]i'll try that next time, but what's the best method of finding the cause so it can be rectified or possibly by-passed??
(overtaking someone then suddenly having your forehead slammed into the windscreen as the car bucks like a rodeo bull - not cool!!) :icon_blac[/QUOTE]

Never been able to get it to do it on the street. :D At least it is keeping me away from chewing tyres like there is no tomorrow at barbagello.

stinga 19-02-2007 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=Pommie]I have the same problem also. Mainly does it when down-shifting to overtake and the rev's approach red-line. There's one helluva jolt, engine light comes on and the cruise control light flashes, also disabling the cruise control function.
I've been told it's caused from the ECU detecting 'over-boost'?!?! and the only remedy is to disconnect the battery or pull out the ECU for a few seconds.
It's ok around around town but on a country run it really sh!ts me as it only does it when cruising above 130km/h*. Surely there's a fix for this?

*speeds above the posted legal limit were undertaken on privately owned sealed roads under controlled environments. :D[/QUOTE]
This happened to me on the way to Albania in the weekend, 4th gear nailing it up a hill, thought I'd hit a big det for a while but all seemed cool, freaked me out........

Pommie 27-02-2007 02:22 AM

Finally, the problem has been resolved!!
The controller had recorded a max boost of 1.63 bar (23.5 psi) !!! so I had it back on the dyno and had the fuel map adjusted and boost controller re-tuned.
Overall, I've lost 2hp but have gained dramatically in the low to mid range. The dyno was also heavily loaded to simulate the on-road scenario plus several runs on a quiet road and the over-boost cut-out problem couldn't be replicated.
So far, so good!
:)

stinga 27-02-2007 08:56 AM

Who did your tune?

Pommie 27-02-2007 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=stinga]Who did your tune?[/QUOTE]
X-Speed. Not sure of the guy's name who actually did it tho....