Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   adjusting fuel ratios without new ecu??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/12369-adjusting-fuel-ratios-without-new-engine-control-unit.html)

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:03 AM

adjusting fuel ratios without new ecu???

Hey guys

i am in the process of completing some breathing mods on my car...
intake, dump pipe and bigger TMIC...with stock turbo for the time being.

i have thought about just fully resetting the ECU???

Is there a way my fuel ratios can be controlled with out having to get a new ecu...just a mild fuel tune to prevent leaning out???

Dont know if what i ask makes sense, but yeah any feedback appreciated..

Thanks guys

joey89 15-05-2007 09:07 AM

Apexi SAFC

Josh 15-05-2007 09:07 AM

SAFC? Jaycar DFA?

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:08 AM

awesome will look into it boys...thanks

joey89 15-05-2007 09:09 AM

No problem it will give you more power aswell get it tuned correctly and its a good bang for your buck!

Mister Two 15-05-2007 09:12 AM

adjusting air and fuel mixtures without having to get a new ECU? NO. You can do it with a piggy back solution though.

The ecu will adjust to mild mods by itself. You may be able to get away with using stock ECU for those mods you listed. I know of a few my99s running those kinds of mods and still on the stock ECU. The only way to know for sure is to get on a dyno as soon as the mods are installed. While on the dyno, get the operator to do a AFR check and also knock sensing.

Just remember that with those mods, a freer intake and exhaust system may cause you to hit boost cut in higher gears. So I would be budgeting for a new ECU anyway. For such mild mods, a Power FC would be a good and affordable option.

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:15 AM

IS the SAFC II a better option or no real difference???

Josh 15-05-2007 09:29 AM

SAFC is only Air/Fuel - Power FC is full replacement. Power FC will be better. They're about $1k + fitting and tuning.

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:34 AM

see how how car goes with just the SAFC, as i am more worried about preventing it from leaning out (even more)..

thanks guys for your feedback, have taken note of all of it.....later on will budget for power fc...thanks again

mr_psi 15-05-2007 09:50 AM

get a second hand powerfc fork out the dollars bro its well worth it

chee 15-05-2007 09:52 AM

I paid $750 for a 2nd hand pfc.

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:52 AM

so the power fc covers the fuel ratios ey????

for a street tune how much am i looking at, at say ASG??

wrx_diamond 15-05-2007 09:53 AM

yeh tru dat, someone is selling one in the for sale thread

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:54 AM

PM sent ;)

chee 15-05-2007 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=impreza_GT]so the power fc covers the fuel ratios ey????

for a street tune how much am i looking at, at say ASG??[/QUOTE]

powerfc is a full standalone ecu. will cover everything you need.

sean's car (450ps'ish at the hubs) is using a power fc.

you need to call asg to find out how much it will cost. but i'd say budget around $500.

Bakks 15-05-2007 09:56 AM

I could sell you a Jaycar Digital Fuel Adjuster, Electronic Boost Controller and handset for like $150.

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 09:57 AM

cool thats nice to know peace of mind will speak to him about tuning it haha

mr_psi 15-05-2007 09:59 AM

if ya get a powerfc with a tune for your 440cc injectors u will need less then 2 hours tuning time that is 200 buks pluss 600 for powerfc thats 800 buks for a full ecu that is capable of xxxx hp

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 10:02 AM

spoke to nick at ASG and lookin at 400-600 hung for basic tune...will see once i get parts sorted etc...

Elrico 15-05-2007 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=Josh]SAFC is only Air/Fuel - Power FC is full replacement. Power FC will be better. They're about $1k + fitting and tuning.[/QUOTE]

To be excact they are $920 delivered to your door and about $1,000 to tune.

Mister Two 15-05-2007 01:28 PM

$1K to tune a Power FC is a damn rip off.

For such mild mods, the tuner shouldnt need anymore than around 2 hours on the dyno. So you shouldnt need to spend more than $400 to $500 for a tune.

DEDLYWEPN 15-05-2007 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=impreza_GT]Hey guys

i am in the process of completing some breathing mods on my car...
intake, dump pipe and bigger TMIC...with stock turbo for the time being.

i have thought about just fully resetting the ECU???

Is there a way my fuel ratios can be controlled with out having to get a new ecu...just a mild fuel tune to prevent leaning out???

Dont know if what i ask makes sense, but yeah any feedback appreciated..

Thanks guys[/QUOTE]
i have all the above mods on the stock ecu. no worries....

Kato 15-05-2007 01:33 PM

[QUOTE=MY REXTC]i have all the above mods on the stock ecu. no worries....[/QUOTE]

Have you checked AFR's and knock to make sure there are 'no worries'?

tuna 15-05-2007 01:38 PM

no worries, i never drive my car?

btw, mild mods or not, theres a tune, and then theres a tune.

its not a case of changing 10-20 cells (3-4 cells for a link) and hopeing for the best. checking the AFR, knock limit and climbing air temps under load takes more then 1 or 2 hours.

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 01:41 PM

i am not gonna rush tune, want to make the most out of it. but also reliable not something thats needs repairs every months...maybe a safe tune...leaving boost as is for the time being.

mr_psi 15-05-2007 01:55 PM

i got mine tuned by scali a new powerfc and i told him dont worry how long it takes just make sure its done properly and it was 4 hours for 600 buks or so

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 01:58 PM

yeh i am definately going with as ASG if not for anything else at least peace of mind!!

mr_psi 15-05-2007 02:03 PM

yer i aint trying to get ya to get it done anywhere else.... but 1k worth of tunin... damn.. it better be a awesome tune!

Intra 15-05-2007 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]$1K to tune a Power FC is a damn rip off.

For such mild mods, the tuner shouldnt need anymore than around 2 hours on the dyno. So you shouldnt need to spend more than $400 to $500 for a tune.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ok..

lets turn this around.

You own a deli, should you not operate on costs alone when you resell products to customers? :D

Surely you need to pay rent (assuming you rent) , mouths to feed,insurance. marketing blah blah blah.. maybe stop and think about that sorta stuff before posting. Its very easy to just "tell it as it is" without actually doing the maths beforehand.

If it were that easy, we would be flourished with people who tune PFC's.

Cold Start, Warm Start, Close Loop, Open Loop, Timing adjustment, Boost Control, Compensation maps, Initial problems with the mechanics, Bolt on time to dyno, bolt off time to dyno.... and the biggest bit a handshake to say it wont blow up round the next corner..

1k is not much to pay especially its the workshop that takes the risk for that engine.

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 02:18 PM

the price i was quoted doesnt bother me, choice has been made!

EVL WRX 15-05-2007 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]if ya get a powerfc with a tune for your 440cc injectors u will need less then 2 hours tuning time that is 200 buks pluss 600 for powerfc thats 800 buks for a full ecu that is capable of xxxx hp[/QUOTE]

2 hours tuning for $200 bux, that is the cheapest dyno price I have ever seen..

And getting a second hand PFC for $600 is like finding gold, they still ask pretty good prices from what I see...

tuna 15-05-2007 02:27 PM

be aware that the pfc wont let you run over 1.8 bar of boost without flagging! :p

BALISTC 15-05-2007 02:34 PM

I guess thats why you went MoTeC hey Stace? ;)

impreza_GT 15-05-2007 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=tuna]be aware that the pfc wont let you run over 1.8 bar of boost without flagging! :p[/QUOTE]

hahaha i'll be lucky to hit 1 bar stace ahahaha...Monster TDO4 ftw...lol

tuna 15-05-2007 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]I guess thats why you went MoTeC hey Stace? ;)[/QUOTE]

how long before you join the 2 bar club joe :)

Kato 15-05-2007 02:45 PM

Nothing wrong with 1.5-2.0 bar through a TD04 :D

Mister Two 15-05-2007 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=Intra]Hmmm ok..

lets turn this around.

You own a deli, should you not operate on costs alone when you resell products to customers? :D

Surely you need to pay rent (assuming you rent) , mouths to feed,insurance. marketing blah blah blah.. maybe stop and think about that sorta stuff before posting. Its very easy to just "tell it as it is" without actually doing the maths beforehand.

If it were that easy, we would be flourished with people who tune PFC's.

Cold Start, Warm Start, Close Loop, Open Loop, Timing adjustment, Boost Control, Compensation maps, Initial problems with the mechanics, Bolt on time to dyno, bolt off time to dyno.... and the biggest bit a handshake to say it wont blow up round the next corner..

1k is not much to pay especially its the workshop that takes the risk for that engine.[/QUOTE]

$1K is not much to pay for tuning on a Motec, or Autronic, in fact it would be cheap. But on a Power FC, its a little overkill. Most people usually spend no more than $600 for a good tune that has no issues with cold starts etc... Power FC is a very simplified ECU compared to Motec and other high end ECUs, with far less scope and resolution for tuning, which is why it is so cheap.

We are somewhat flourished with people who tune Power FC. They are one of the most common aftermarket ECUs. Almost all Jap perfromance workshops in Australia can handle PFC tuning.

Also I have not yet seen a tuner take complete responsibilty for a lean out and consequently blown engine while tuning a engine. Some even make you sign a legal document stating they are not responsible if the engine blows on the dyno.

I do base my prices on costs alone. I pay more for any particular product than coles ever will and that is the sole reason I have to charge more for any particular product.

tuna 15-05-2007 04:17 PM

power fc is 20x20x2 resolution, which in my book is superior to the autronic's 15x20x2, so the tune time is just as important. that is unless they are ghost tuning.

BALISTC 15-05-2007 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=tuna]how long before you join the 2 bar club joe :)[/QUOTE]

When I fit a decent dump pipe ;)

REXESS 15-05-2007 04:27 PM

ok just a question for you guys. there seems to be ALOT of ppl on this forum that shoot other ppls tunes/power figures etc down. sayin y u runnin these AFRs, why u running that boost, why is it that mph/kph. you should do it this way blah farkin blah :eusa_thin

so my question is why arnt u all tuners? y dont u all do your own cars? go out by dynos and make a packet!!

perth-wrx used to be a orsm place to talk about modes etc with SUPPORT from your fellow scoobie lovers. but no with all these new n00bs its all this my wang is bigger than yours crap....everyone is too ready to shoot ppl down in flames :angryfire

there are alot of options for ppl (motec, ecutek, verso, power fc, wolf keke) and each to their own, its like if you like blondes, brunettes or fanta pants. everyone is diff, every car is diff, so power n figures etc are gonna be diff. shit im a grrl and i know that!!

so boys get over it, if your happy with your own car then fark others, and others STFU if your just gonna bag shit. just sick of a all these posts, someone puts up a graph or time or somefin and there are 10+ posts to shoot em down..

its the age old sayin
"if you havent got somefin nice to say, dont say anything at all"

my 2 cents *smiles sweetly* :D
carls