Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

impreza_GT at standard level
Default Please be the Starter Motor *crosses fingers*

Ok as some of you may know i recently installed a larger TMIC on my my00 wrx.

All was fine felt a massive difference in power in top end, car would pull forever instead of hesistating at 5500rpm...

i decided to take my car to the mechanic to check my work over....while there i was also planning on gettin a 3" dump installed but the flanges didnt line up.

Anyways got my car back last nite and started her up sounded all good for about 10 mins, sounded and was running sweet. We were still at the mechanic and the car started idling a bit rough, but not constantly like for 2 seconds every 4-5 mins.

I drove the car out and felt like the turbo was off, and was making no boost...there was no induction noise at all coming from the pod and the BOV would not discharge at all.

my first guess was the car was running in limp mode for some sorta reason, having to do with the changes in airflow etc. Another guess which came to me just then was possible the mechanic may have damaged the 02 sensor on the dump pipe without knowing...

we had the bonnet open and whilst revving the car the BOV (atmo) would open about 1/5th of the way.

The car felt like an RX, drove fine just no boost, temperature remained the same etc... The exhaust sounded a bit louder, but this maybe due to me being parted with it for three days..lol.

Anyways i decided to take the car home (10 min drive), drive home was fine same story car drove fine just felt like small or no boost.

I left the car on the driveway, came back bout 2 hours later to put it in the garage, turned the key, turned over just barely, sounded like something was loose and then the engine stalled, shut off...went to try again and nothing, when i turn the key car makes a clicking noise and all the lights flash (dimmed)....

Could it just be the starter motor, it has been on the way out for probly about a year, when i'd start the car it make a weird noise, for about a second, then all cool.

Any information or likely causes would be great...

Thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

normally when a starter goes it grinds when you turn the key...from my experiences anyway. if it's not making any boost is that because your intercooler lines are all connected properly?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

the noise it makes when the key is turned is the same as when the battery is about to die...everything just clicks and flickers...and yes the battery is fine!!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

have you checked the voltages at the batterty terminals when running and off? The mechanic may have disconnect the battery and did not re-tighten the terminals properly when putting it back on.

If they are fine. Check your alternator. Could be dead and not recharging your battery. Check groundings for the alternator.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

we tried doing that quick ecu reset by taking of the negative terminal etc....think we mite have done it too quick (only had it off for about 2 mins)...I will check the alternator and battery tomorrow, thanks Ludwig!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

If there is no boost check for whistling noises at idle.... if u find what u think is a noise just put hands over the bits and if noise stops u have a leak...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

car doesnt start, so cant check that
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

check your battery terminals, if it still doesnt start its probaly your starter motor or whatever.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Elrico at standard level

Well a stuffed starter motor wouldnt cause your boost to slump. I found when my AFM was fucked it would drive alright till it hit boost, then run like a pig. Stuttering and what not.

02 sensor would not be a problem. It is able to drive WITHOUT an 02 sensor. I Had my 02 sensor off for about a month as i sourced another sensor from repco, and replaced it. All i felt with a cactus 02 sensor was that in the cold it would surge a little.

Its pretty much fault finding otherwise. If the car doesnt start means it is getting zilch power. Means Battery isnt working properly, starter motor is cactus or maybe anyone thought about spark plugs at all?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM

chee at standard level

rough guess. check your y pipe?

you've probably drained your battery. hence why its not starting. starter motor shouldnt just die. if you still think its the starter motor, bash it with a screwdriver. if it starts then id say its due for a swap. if its the same then it may be something else.

i forgot to tighten my I pipe (same as Y but single port my94 shitter one) and it blew straight off the turbo. Car drove like a bucket of shit. It stalled. Had to keep my foot in to keep it from stalling. No boost was made or anything.

Tags
crosses, fingers, motor, starter