Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Lorry at standard level

I dunno how much it would cost but you could get someone to weld some flanges on the end of the screamer and into the exhaust, and then get a piece of pipe made up to plumback your screamer into the exhaust. Also get a plate made up to block off the hole in the main exhaust when you run the screamer in atmo mode.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLARBEAR666
That is correct. If I run my maccas carpark show off boost setting of 10psi I scream all day long at low revs. Though if u rev limit the car to 4500 I doubt he will be producing much boost with a 35R.

HMMM how can that be correct?? does it depend on the spring in the wastegate?? My wastegate has a 1.5bar spring in it so it wont open unless this boost is achieved???
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

Dont even bother. I've been over pits with screamer pipe, you'd be very unlucky if they saw it, and they certainly wouldnt get it on boost.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

You can NOT control how much boost you generate with the wastegate blocked. The wastegate is what the ECU uses to control boost via your boost control solenoid. So even if you set low boost targets via the ECU, ECU will just try and open the wastegate earlier which is pointless with the wastegate blocked.

Best thing I can think of is to get your tuner to set low RPM limit and to modify timing and fuelling to stop boost generating. Maybe also block off part of the air intake to restrict air getting to the turbo.

Either way it's gonna be rather tricky and could likely damage your car what ever you do. But I would recommend AGAINST ever disabling the wastegate.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM

Mister Two at standard level

just stick a very soft spring into the wastegate actuator and stick a vacuum line directly from the compressor cover to the wastegate actuator. They wont be going anywhere fast on only 5/6psi boost. No need to fuck around with re-flashing and shit.

Or just pull the spring out of the wastegate actuator completely. Zero Boost for next to zero effort.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

If they did spot your atmo WG while going over the pits, you wouldn't be in much luck of losing your yellow from others' experience.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:07 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

COUCHY at standard level
Send a message via MSN to COUCHY

cant you just change the spring inside of the wastegate to a stiffer spring then lower your boost and set rpm to 4500 at max,
Old 11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex
HMMM how can that be correct?? does it depend on the spring in the wastegate?? My wastegate has a 1.5bar spring in it so it wont open unless this boost is achieved???
Yeah correct Tino. I didn't mean that my gate screamed at 10psi.. just that with a setting of 10psi it is below the 14psi spring that I have and therefore as soon as the spring sees more than 14psi you have scream all day long without the boost controller being an issue
Old 11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Bent

Clint at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Two
just stick a very soft spring into the wastegate actuator and stick a vacuum line directly from the compressor cover to the wastegate actuator. They wont be going anywhere fast on only 5/6psi boost. No need to fuck around with re-flashing and shit.

Or just pull the spring out of the wastegate actuator completely. Zero Boost for next to zero effort.
Buddy have a look at his setup. You made a couple of boo-boo's with your advice.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Mister Two at standard level

Bleh: I need to read shit properly.

Remove the wastegate screamer pipe and replace it with a flat blocking plate across the wastegate outlet and run a straight though bypass hose from the IC pipe to back to the inlet. Remove the BOV.

This will make it legal I think and you will have no boost but you risk over spinning the turbo if you or the inspector nail it as there is no boost control and the air pumped by the turbo is re-routed back into the intake pre-turbo.

Or you could just get the screamer pipe modified and welded back into the dump pipe. Probably the best thing in the long run if you ever get pulled over again.

Last edited by Mister Two; 11-07-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Tags
blocking, pipe, screamer