Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   HIDs Problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/13767-hids-problem.html)

wrx oh oh 15-07-2007 07:16 PM

My HIDs are also from Ben. So far I am very satisfied. They are the 4300 color, not as pretty as the blue tinge but better for rain and mist. When switching on there is a burst of light as if a bulb has blown, then the normal brightness, this happens in millisecs, there may a very short black interval in there as well. I had an auto-electrician do the work for $65 so the job would have been fairly straightfwd.
The kit comes with 2 blue side lights that match very well with the pure white of the HIDs. I think these lights have to be yellow/orange so the originals are back in.
Back to the question, if one light is erratic, try interchanging, take usual precautions, do not touch the lamp with bare fingers.

RichX 15-07-2007 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=wrx oh oh]My HIDs are also from Ben. So far I am very satisfied. They are the 4300 color, not as pretty as the blue tinge but better for rain and mist. [B]When switching on there is a burst of light as if a bulb has blown, then the normal brightness, this happens in millisecs, there may a very short black interval in there as well.[/B] I had an auto-electrician do the work for $65 so the job would have been fairly straightfwd.
The kit comes with 2 blue side lights that match very well with the pure white of the HIDs. I think these lights have to be yellow/orange so the originals are back in.
Back to the question, if one light is erratic, try interchanging, take usual precautions, do not touch the lamp with bare fingers.[/QUOTE]

Mine do exactly the same thing.

Mister Two 15-07-2007 07:31 PM

Yeah that quick burst of light is normal.

chee 16-07-2007 12:04 AM

they come with park light bulbs too? sick.

wonder if ben is going to do another gb...

Mister Two 16-07-2007 12:07 AM

the parker lights that come with the kit are bright blue LED. Very bright defectable blue. They really stand out from the white glow of the HIDs.

pete gopal 16-07-2007 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]the parker lights that come with the kit are bright blue LED. Very bright defectable blue. They really stand out from the white glow of the HIDs.[/QUOTE]
Correct I bought a set of new park LEDs of ebay for around $4 which match perfectly.

I do not start the lights till the engine is idling so that beats one of the theories...i dont think it's the bulbs themselves, I'll check the wiring but I'm pretty sure it's the ballasts. Anyone here has a spare one?? I suppose i could swap them around and see what happens.

Also to add to it, the problem only happens when the lights haven't been "warmed up"...not sure what to call it. So when you've left them off for like 30min and then you start them. Switching on and off works fine everytime.

BrennyV 16-07-2007 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]the parker lights that come with the kit are bright blue LED. Very bright defectable blue. They really stand out from the white glow of the HIDs.[/QUOTE]
This is true, I would not recommend anyone to use these as the cops will use them against you if they feel the need. There are a heap of wedge bulbs on the market for around 8bucks a set that that will emit a whiter light that will match the HID’s better.

Besides that my 8000k H7’s are working fine.

GOOSE 16-07-2007 10:43 AM

I have the same problem with mine at the moment but it was not until i turned the lights on in front of a shop window that i found out my right light had not blown but turns on for a split second and then dies....

Could this be the ballast and if so (apologies for the noobiness) WTF is the ballast?????

GOOSE

Mister Two 16-07-2007 10:51 AM

the ballast is the silver box thingy that connects directly to the HID lamp. It is a capacitor, voltage transformer, and regulator and igniter all in one little box.

IDOLYZ 16-07-2007 11:30 AM

sorry to hear about your problem pete, i hope you can sort it out.

if anyone is interested, i have 3 pairs of white wedge parker globes (same as the blue ones you get for free). i replaced my standard yellow ones, and matches HIDs a lot better.