Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   HIDs Problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/13767-hids-problem.html)

pete gopal 15-07-2007 03:25 PM

HIDs Problem

I've had a brief search and nobody seemed to have a similar problem to mine so...

I bought a set of Ben like most of us :) one of the lights seems to not come on from time to time. If it doesnt switch on, i'll switch it off and it will work the second time :confused: weird. The other light works perfectly every time. I bought a set of h4s-3 but i dont think it's the bulb's problem, ballast not firing every time?? what do you guys think?? anyone has a spare ballast that i can borrow for a week or so (to test my theory)

MKVIGTI 15-07-2007 03:30 PM

Have this problem a lot on the HID work lights on the mining gear at work. It is a sign they are on their way out. Will work for a while till they get to warm and will then die. Flick em off for 30 seconds and they will come back. For a while anyway. Sorry only fix is to replace them.

If you have bought them new recently chase him to replace it as it is faulty.

Mister Two 15-07-2007 03:38 PM

strange one. I got some H4-2 originally and they were fine. Ive since sold them to someone else so that I could get h4-3s.

The H4-2s are still operating fine. And my current H4-3s are very good.

saturation 15-07-2007 03:43 PM

could well be the igniter not the ballast, unless your igniter is built into the ballast (rare) as they are v expensive to come as one unit.

try swapping ballasts that should narrow down the problem if the problem is the same, swap around the igniters and see how you go, that should definitely narrow it down.

RichX 15-07-2007 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=saturation]could well be the igniter not the ballast, unless your igniter is built into the ballast (rare) as they are v expensive to come as one unit.

try swapping ballasts that should narrow down the problem if the problem is the same, swap around the igniters and see how you go, that should definitely narrow it down.[/QUOTE]

I got a set of IDOLYZ, and they don't seem to come with igniters. I've seen igniters primarily on kits over in the US, but these ones don't have them .. Just the ballast.

While i don't have the same problem as the OP, When i turn mine on, it almost looks like the bulb blows for a sec, then they brighten back up.

All seems to work very well.

NVRENUF 15-07-2007 04:26 PM

yes i have the same problem and my set didnt come from ben.
if i have head lights turned on and i start car sometimes one doesnt come on turn the lights off and back on again its fine i have same problem no idea what it is .

RichX 15-07-2007 04:41 PM

I'm not sure on the wiring, but if one ballast is piggy backed off another ballast, the one which is piggy backed may have issues?

I understand the ballasts as being like a big capacitor yes? So when you turn the car on with the lights on, the one closest to the battery comes on first, as that the one which comes up to full current first .. And then the other one comes up?

Make sense? I'm not sure if this is the issue, but it kinda makes sense?

saturation 15-07-2007 05:53 PM

general practice you shouldnt have the lights on when you turn the car on as the ballast/igniter suck a fair bit of power out of the car when turning on for that instant.

The other thing, a few kits mention upgrading your amps fuse from 15 to 20, try that and see if it makes a difference.

Mister Two 15-07-2007 05:59 PM

true. When switching on the engine, the drain from starter motor can cause fluctuations in power supply to the lights. That why they dim on halogen globes when you try and start the engine with the lights on.

HID ballasts dont like unstable voltages. So its best to turn the lights on only once you have started the engine and are idling.

LegacyGT 15-07-2007 06:18 PM

try swap the globes around. if not the ballasts. and find out whats broken.

mine did that a first but i unplugged and plugged them back in and they were fine.

the H4-3 is pretty good quality. Good value as its 100% plug and play.