Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Engine drama (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/14154-engine-drama.html)

low rider 01-08-2007 01:55 PM

how much is it for a WRX long motor, and where can i get one from

Mister Two 01-08-2007 02:02 PM

WAI has a 2.5L long motor for sale from his 06 STI. $4500ono.

What model WRX do you have?

foxey 01-08-2007 02:09 PM

That STi long motor at RMS is going into my car now. The standard MY99 motor out of my car will be for sale once it comes out. Still in great condition, no idea what it's worth though, or if you actually even need a new motor.

BALISTC 01-08-2007 02:16 PM

There is a 99% chance that valves WILL BE damage, and pistons too.

Reason being, when the timing belt snaps and your valvetrain stops dead in its tracks, the pistons are still travelling at engine speed....and at least one valve would have been open at the time somewhere in the engine, because they don't all open and close at the same time.

Best case your short motor is unscathed, and you have bent valves. It could have also damaged a guide in the head, and probably jammed the bucket in the runner also (which can happen even with something like broken shim let alone a bent valve).

Worst case, valve got smacked on full opening, and did all of the above plus a damaged piston.

low rider 02-08-2007 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]There is a 99% chance that valves WILL BE damage, and pistons too.

Reason being, when the timing belt snaps and your valvetrain stops dead in its tracks, the pistons are still travelling at engine speed....and at least one valve would have been open at the time somewhere in the engine, because they don't all open and close at the same time.

Best case your short motor is unscathed, and you have bent valves. It could have also damaged a guide in the head, and probably jammed the bucket in the runner also (which can happen even with something like broken shim let alone a bent valve).

Worst case, valve got smacked on full opening, and did all of the above plus a damaged piston.[/QUOTE]

With the worst case scenario, is there any thing i can do besides getting a short motor put in, can i get like the heads or something put in from another engine

low rider 02-08-2007 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]WAI has a 2.5L long motor for sale from his 06 STI. $4500ono.

What model WRX do you have?[/QUOTE]

Mines a MY00 wrx model, the last of the classic's

tuna 02-08-2007 07:31 AM

cheaper to swap the whole motor (s/h EJ207) then repairing a broken EJ205.

BALISTC 02-08-2007 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=low rider]With the worst case scenario, is there any thing i can do besides getting a short motor put in, can i get like the heads or something put in from another engine[/QUOTE]

Depending on head damage, you can repair your heads and drop in a new short motor.

If the heads are beyond repair, you will need a long motor, or a set of replacement heads and a short motor.

Your workshop will be able to tell you if the heads are beyond repair, but let me tell you....most of the time its cheaper to get replacement heads than fix your old ones.

pete gopal 02-08-2007 09:43 AM

Fark! sorry to hear that mate, and to hijack ur thread a bit...my car's only 87k km. I know you need to replace the belt at 100k but its a My00 model, what you reckon guys, leave it till 100k or is it too old already?

phizzle 02-08-2007 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=pete gopal]Fark! sorry to hear that mate, and to hijack ur thread a bit...my car's only 87k km. I know you need to replace the belt at 100k but its a My00 model, what you reckon guys, leave it till 100k or is it too old already?[/QUOTE]
100k is what is recommended. There's no gaurantee that it will last that long. Shit, it could last 200,000, no-one knows until it breaks. It's really a gamble how long you want to push it, but yea generally it gets done at the 100k mark. Change it whenever you can afford to next service or one after. And stick in a new water pump while it's getting done too. Much more economical to do at the same time and saves an expensive failure *plug - Mr psi*