Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level
Default Anyone available this morning?

Anyone available this morning to help me with doing a timing belt? The motor is out of the car but for the life of me i cant get the marks to all line up. Using a dayco belt but have counted the teeth about 20 times and it all "should" line up ok but just wont. In beechboro willing to shout a six pack for someone that knows their shit with these to have a look. My number is 0401 160 168.

Cheers Corrie
Old 01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Refer to my post about dud dayco cambelts. If still struggling PM me.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

How did you go?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

no luck...
i counted the teeth and there is 28 teeth between the marks on both left and right as it should be. The right side is perfect. the left side seems to be one tooth out. I checked the belt against the old one and it all seems to be good. The problem lies in that if i line it up with the marks on the belt that it doesnt line up with the top marking on the motor. If i line it up with the cam sprocket to the timing mark on the cover it is 29 teeth. The right side is only 28 as per the manual. After many times looking at it i walked away.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

That sucks man .. I got someone else to do my timing belt as it's a bitch of a job - Specially with the motor in !!

I got my OEM Timing Belt for around $150 from Sooby Ozzy Park.

The aftermarket ones might claim they are stronger and so-on .. But the OEM one fits first time every time.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Yeah well i been putting off the conversion for over a year now but the baby is due in 7 weeks so gonna have no time after that. Im sure there are many people on here running dayco or even cheaper belts and dont know it. Lets face it who has heard of a belt snapping prematurely due to it being a cheaper brand? There is such things as quality control. I worked for komatsu for 4 years in spare parts and you would be surprised how many "genuine komatsu parts" were made by someone else. Belts by mitsubishi, hoses by parker and pirtek etc... These days genuine means shit.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

I'm not saying genuine is stronger than other belts .. I'm just saying Subaru know Subaru best - And obviously in this case, your aftermaket belt 'makers', fucked up
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

The joy of owning an "Interference Motor". For anyone new to the term it means the valves WILL "interfere" with the pistons if the timing is set up incorrectly.
Do you have a manual? You have PM
Old 02-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

They all never line up perfectly with the cam cover marks and then also all the marks on the wheels won`t line up right until the tensioner etc strectches the belt some in the right places.

You should however be able to see that its not a whole tooth out...because if you move it over a tooth its way out/worse.

As for Dayco belts.... never seen one have an issue.....the 6 or so 9462`s I have fitted in the last month have all been marked out fine, Although just as with factory belts somtimes, on some models of engine the marks are slightly off to the marks on the wheels...but by no more that 1/4 tooth so its easy to work out and accept they are where they are supposed to be.

After this is all said a done you should always comfirm the belt postion by rotating the engine over a couple of times and coming back to the set-up timing marks, and then the TDC arrows(there are 2 sets of timing marks on subaru`s, the main ones for belt install(the lines) are off TDC to make it easier to hold cams off-rock, the arrows are then TDC) to confirm line-up.

Last edited by GTLeggy; 02-09-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

I would like to thank doug (dtrally) so much for taking the time out to come and set me on the right track. You are a legend.

Tags
morning