Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Misfiring??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/15219-misfiring.html)

WRXL3R8 20-09-2007 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=myztik]how much would these cost to get it fixed???[/QUOTE]

i had the same problem, changed the spark plugs and ignition leads which made it run better but still didnt fix the problem, as soon as i changed the airflow meter there was a massive difference and the problem went away, apparently if you have a pod filter the afm seems to not like it. you dont have to get genuine stuff because all genuine stuff is, is the same as the other brands (on most occassions) except it has higher quiality control ( ie instead of 1 in every 2000 being tested for on shelf, 1 in every 500 get tested and then branded to genuine -->car company)

I got some top gun leads, there are new heavy duty ones you can get from autopro and they're relatively cheap about $120 for the set, spark plugs looking between $18-25 each and then airflow meter well you either get it new for a couple of hundred dollars or just watch the for sale section.

moe

WRXTASY 20-09-2007 04:27 PM

As has been said a million times over since the 99/00 WRX STi was released.

The fragile film type AFM's on this model do not like OILED filters. Be that a pod or a flat panel. Period. Nadah. No good. Fail from contamination eventually.

All other models ok.

A can of CRC contact cleaner is $20 ish from Dick Smith.

A new AFM is $200 ish.

A new EJ207 is $6500-7000 installed!!!

I know which one I would try first :)

rexbois 20-09-2007 05:50 PM

A new EJ207 is $6500-7000 installed!!! this one ????

myztik 20-09-2007 08:13 PM

to answer WRXTASY's answer about whether i've got the wrx yet...the answer is no...

it was one i was planning to buy so i got RAC to inspect it, came back with quite a few problems but minor, and one of the problems was the misfiring.

i think i got the juice of it now... cheers guys...really appreciate your help and patience

olite 20-09-2007 10:49 PM

i have the same problem since i fitted the HKS ssqv on. never have the car farting before even though i got a pod filter. might try cleaning the afm.

is it possible the afm got confused since the excess pressure is now vented out via the new bov instead of the stock plumb back?

Elrico 21-09-2007 02:27 AM

Id say no. The AFm reads the intake air through the stockbox/pod/whatever you have. The ECU reads the plumbed back air that is recirculated. The only difference is that the ECU notices that there is missing air that has not been recirculated and adjusts the air/fuel mixture (richer) accordingly. Correct me if im wrong please :) as this is what was explained to myself.

Define farting? An atmospheric blow of valve will cause a pop to go through your exhaust and when you come off the throttle to change gear, come out. Misfiring is a noticeable effect.

Elrico 21-09-2007 02:28 AM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]As has been said a million times over since the 99/00 WRX STi was released.

The fragile film type AFM's on this model do not like OILED filters. Be that a pod or a flat panel. Period. Nadah. No good. Fail from contamination eventually.

All other models ok.

A can of CRC contact cleaner is $20 ish from Dick Smith.

A new AFM is $200 ish.

A new EJ207 is $6500-7000 installed!!!

I know which one I would try first :)[/QUOTE]

I think between here and rexnet, you are the ambassadore for changing MY99/00 AFMS! :D

WRXTASY 21-09-2007 03:19 PM

Ha Ha... Prevention is far far better than the end result.

Speaking from experience before all the newbies get burnt.
Maybe I should just shut up and flog off EJ207's in my spare time :)

Elrico 21-09-2007 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]Ha Ha... Prevention is far far better than the end result.

Speaking from experience before all the newbies get burnt.
Maybe I should just shut up and flog off EJ207's in my spare time :)[/QUOTE]

2 steps ahead of you......*runs off to ring japan*