Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Air intake install (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/15479-air-intake-install.html)

Kato 03-10-2007 01:36 PM

Umm, what is the reason for changing the filter to a pod type?

No offense is intended, but if you don't know how or why you are changing something, why do it? You may have bought a brand of filer that is incompatible and cause you more problems.

From tests I have seen the stock airbox flows as well as the aftermarket intakes.

BALISTC 03-10-2007 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Steve_Richards]all i need now is the right tools.....i can't get a spanner down to get the bolts off to take the original filter box off.
what do you mean by over-oiling it??[/QUOTE]

Every so often, you are supposed to clean the pod filter. I normally do mine every 6 months, but some people let it go to 12 months (which is okay too).

To do this, you use a filter cleaning and re-charge kit, which includes a detergent to clean the filter and an oil which you spray onto the filter. This helps trap dirt and dust in the filter so it doesnt get into your engine.

If you spray too much oil on the filter, this gets sucked into your AFM. It then cakes onto the element, and when the hot-wire heats itself up in its self cleaning procedure on each start of the car, it will bake onto the wire. This will happen every time you start the car, and eventually it will fuck the AFM up.

As for removing the air box... a ratchet, socket and extension will help you get it out easier than a spanner.

Also, you should probably have a bracket made up to secure the pod filter...because if the cops pull you up and find it hanging there on its own, they'll defect the car for having an unsecured pod filter.

Mister Two 03-10-2007 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=Kato]Umm, what is the reason for changing the filter to a pod type?

No offense is intended, but if you don't know how or why you are changing something, why do it? You may have bought a brand of filer that is incompatible and cause you more problems.

From tests I have seen the stock airbox flows as well as the aftermarket intakes.[/QUOTE]

+1

Mounting a Pod is especially useless if your going to be mounting it inside the engine bay. It will be just sucking up hot air which will in turn probably cause a performance drop over the OEM panel filter and box sucking in cool air from behind the quarter panel.

If you are just doing it for the fooooly sooiick maaate turbo spool and BOV noise then just remove the intake resonator behind the quarter panel and make up a PVC pipe to take cool air from behind the Fog light. It will give you all of the rice sounds you are after AND may actually give a small but tangible performance increase.

BALISTC 03-10-2007 02:23 PM

Too bad that the WRX airbox isn't big enough to fit a decent pod in there.

In some cars, a pod can be slotted into the airbox very easily...best of both worlds :)

EF Falcon's for example, have an airbox lid with a 3" pipe built into it, inside...it happens to be perfect to attach a pod filter to, and it fits nicely in the very spacious airbox.

trainwrex 03-10-2007 02:25 PM

just make a simon special bunnings box and chuck ur pod in there.. hahah

mr_psi 03-10-2007 02:33 PM

99 wrx have the shittest afm's going round... i would rethink about an oiled filter

apexi filter ftw

Steve_Richards 03-10-2007 03:08 PM

hmmm, interesting.
It appears that you guys don't think its really worth it?
So why would people do it if you think its not worth it? How many of you guys have done something similar?

American Dave 03-10-2007 03:17 PM

mate people buy all sorts of crap mods for their cars and then find out later they were a waste of time and $$. This forum used correctly will help you avoid those pitfalls ;)

Chrus 03-10-2007 03:20 PM

I replaced the stock air filter with a K & N panel one. Seems to work fine - less to look at in the engine bay, but i consider that to be a good thing :cool:

Steve_Richards 03-10-2007 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=BugeyeSti]I replaced the stock air filter with a K & N panel one. Seems to work fine - less to look at in the engine bay, but i consider that to be a good thing :cool:[/QUOTE]

did you see any gains???