Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Simmo7 at standard level

SLIKWRX since you don't like caps and i know a few people in the industry that dont i will give you the only other way.

Either spend the money on upgrading your standard alt. I looked closely at mine today which seems to be around the 100amp mark after testing??? You could also get it checked to see if its still charging at a nominal 13.5 V. Would like it higher but i know many charge around that.

You've done by the sounds of it all you can. Earthing is a major part in stereo and electrical, but you need the power there to start with to make it all worth while.

(Cheap way) Secondly buy a optima yellow top say 300-500cca. You want one of these as you know due to it being dry, then stick it in your boot. Your pulling a fair amount of juice out of your bat,alt combo as it is.

As for car audio oz i know a fair few people on there some with good ideas, most just back yard mechanics... Any other problems i would hit up Westside car audio theres 3 off them. Macy from technic is now working there he will sort it out for you. May even finish it up with a nice CAP. haha jokes mate..
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Simmo7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
I have an optima battery and 5 farad soundstream cap in my mobile sound room (VN dunnydore to be exact) Never had any issues with excessive current draw. Runs 2 alpine amps. An F409 and 1507, both bridged
You have to remember it's a commodore. They have big alternators and a much larger engine. So current drop in commo's needs alot more gear then a 4 cyc.. I bet if you added another 1507 or 2 u may experence it..
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

If you're unsure if its the voltage drop...and dont know how to calculate it etc. PM me, got a little application that calculates the voltage drop which i use at work a bit...

all you need to input is:

cable size (sq mm)
rout length (one way)
load power (W) - you gonna have to add it all up

i havent seen the stock cable but i highly doubt its the voltage drop....earthing/stronger alt/battery

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

slikwrx at standard level

currently got an optima blue top in there no room to put in a second optima even in the boot as its all be custom installed by Macy @ Technik's
Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Simmo7 at standard level

Hey mate.

Well would look down the route of putting in a larger alt. I think that will be the only way out if it now.

Its pretty easy once in and i think the bosch unit will fit exactly the in the hole we have. Coz unfortunately we cant rewind them anymore or take them into a star delta configuration?? Never know it may well do??

Tags
alternator, cable, upgrading