Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   My car tried to kill me... with gas (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/1714-my-car-tried-kill-me-gas.html)

Pettata 06-10-2005 06:28 PM

My car tried to kill me... with gas

Driving home from work today and got this really overpowering smell in the car coming from the airconditioning vents. Opened the front windows and then blasted the fan onto full and out comes some smoke that partially fogged up the windscreen just above the outlet. The settings were on as cold can be (without the air con actually being turned on).

I did previously have a problem with the smell in the car, but not that overpowering and not with smoke. had taken it to a mechanic who at the time fixed the heater (pipes were clogged), but didn't fix the smell that was sometimes noticeable in the car. Assumed the smell came from the air-con gas but what could the cause of the smoke be? I need help here!!! and some sort of suggestion on how to fix it, or a good mechanic who actually knows what to do!

tuna 06-10-2005 06:52 PM

its normal,

the 'smoke' u see is condensation.

the smell is just the unsanitary conditions in your car.

Shinobiken 06-10-2005 07:14 PM

his car smells like engine coolant if that means anything.

pete, what did ya dad say about this?

Pettata 06-10-2005 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=tuna]its normal,

the 'smoke' u see is condensation.

the smell is just the unsanitary conditions in your car.[/QUOTE]you know... your not much help :cussing:

Pettata 06-10-2005 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=Shinobiken]his car smells like engine coolant if that means anything.

pete, what did ya dad say about this?[/QUOTE]I haven't bothered to tell him yet, pretty tired after a full day of work and full stomach... prolly sleep now till later

tuna 06-10-2005 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Pettata]you know... your not much help :cussing:[/QUOTE]

yeh no probs.

how about the 'smoke' is steam, and that steam is hot coolant, and that coolant smells, and your heater core is knackered, and your previous mech. didnt bother to fix it.

just a guess :jerk:

adamh 06-10-2005 07:37 PM

Im no mechanic, i had this problem in a vastly different car. Coolant smelling steam/smoke pooring in the vents and fogged up the windscreen so badly i had to pull over.

I ignored it cos it only happened the once (and it was a shit car) and then its radiator hose exploded a few days later. It was overheating.

Like I said I'm no mechanic.

DarkMoose 06-10-2005 08:19 PM

No more compression sessions?

chee 06-10-2005 10:17 PM

stop having sessions whilst driving with the windows up :icon_weed

Pettata 06-10-2005 11:24 PM

I'm no mechanic either so i know crap-all about these sort of problems. Car doesn't give the signal that it's overheating. Wats the best place to get it fixed then? assuming it's the heater core and a normal mechanic can't fix it?