Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level
Default Head/Cam help.

Ok, so after deciding i was happy with my car where it was at, i later decided im not.

I've been mulling it over in my head and decided on:

Head Work
Cams
Motec
FMIC (begrudgingly)

At the moment its a '00 WRX with a 207, TMIC, monsterported TD05-16G, Possum-LINK and fuel pump.
The Motec and front mount are simple enough, but im struggling with the head and cam options, ive searched but came up with loads of contradictions and bullshit.
So which heads are the go? are the 00's good enough with a port and polish? I've read spec C ones are the go, but rare as heck, and just how much better are they? and then there's later model ones with AVCS..
Does AVCS use its own special cams or can it be used with any cams?
And with cams, im not on top of the whole lift and duration aspect of it all. the numbers dont mean alot to me. So some help in functionality of different cam specs would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

What happened to the WB? Didnt drop enough phat skids Lyndon?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

still got it, i just cant bring myself to buy china crap.
just going to leave it how it is. running.
plus seeing all these builds going on recently has got me thinking.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Elrico at standard level

So what is your desired application for your car though dude? Gonna still kick on bein a street light warrior or you got/have track/drag in mind? 207 is a good start nonetheless with its forged internals. Is there not major problems some people were discussing with AVCS recently and how it would cost great amounts to fix?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

from where i am sitting:
the spec C cams (apart from being AVCS already) have mugh bigger inlet & exhaust ports, and they are also polished from the factory, thus they are the best flowing FACTORY head. If you are planning on porting & polish anyway, you'd probably lose any advantage. The AVCS cams in the Spec C head will also be more aggressive than normal AVCS cams, but if you are planning on upgrading the cams, this will also be moot.

AVCS cams are indeed different to non AVCS cams, and you need the assorted parts to go on the heads with them.

as for the lift, duration etc specs of cams... shrug, i dont know either :P

My suggestion would be to grab a set of 03-05 GDA WRX heads, have them ported to tha bajesus and insert a set of cosworth cams. you could do all this out of the car and it would only be in the workshop a few days rather than a few weeks (or months!) if you do the work on your own heads. plus you could probably sell the complete unmolested heads afterwards.

I know ASG are the current flavour of the month, but i believe they are the Aus dealers for Cosworth parts. they also have a bit of experience with both the cosworth cams in modified heads (jarons, wais, sean from all stars car etc) as well as tuning MoTeC with these mods.

Heads make the power, bottom end holds it!

Just to throw this is, it might also be worth considering a GD inlet manifold, that way you can easily reverse the manifold to give yourself some shorter pipe work (you'll notic the throttle response when you got TMIC to FMIC) and also the bigger injectors which can be decapped. in fact, why not try get your self an entire 03-05 wrx long motor, it might work out well in your favour once you have sold everything off!

last but not least, dont forget the cost involved. unlike a straight 4/6 or v8, the entire motor needs to come out of the car, plus you need to replace 2x head gaskets. timing belt as well?

etc etc
Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 PM

oh you're in mackay. wtf for
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Elrico at standard level

He came out the closet and had to move state because we chased him off from Port Hedland.

So in otherwords buy a 2.5ltr long motor, get her sleeved, drop her in and feel the torque of a light GC8 with a STi GD motor
Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

i just bought a set of 740cc injectors in preperation for all this, but they can be easily on-sold i suppose.
are the stock 03-05 heads any better than '00 ones? Im not 100% keen on the AVCS as i lose the PNP ability of the Motec. And how much friggin' around is it to keep the A/C with a reverse manifold? Timing belt is only about 10k old and they're reuseable right?
I dont really like FMIC's but ive been told that my TMIC is holding back my power as it is yet alone trying to get more.
And yeah, i understand the motor has to come and two sets of everything is required =) one of the WRX/EVO debates.
cheers, might give ASG a call regarding the cams on monday. Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

car is still in perth, want to get the work done, then sent over.

I moved here because i got used to slower country living while working away for years and didnt fancy moving back to 'fast' perth.
and every country town in WA is full of abos so i looked to the east coast. Vic's too cold, NSW is full of cunts. QLD is beautiful and mackay is a moneytown.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:49 PM

i'd imagine the heads would be almost identical in fitting & flow, its "only" a wrx as for AVCS, MoTeC supports cam control (you need to enable it ) and has a PNP for the V7-8 STI which would probably be your best choice. as for air con, you need a custom bracked made up, but you're definately able to keep the air con.

At the end of the day, all of this only matters if whoever tunes your car is able to make use of the features. if your local guy in macky is used to microtechs then your MoTeC could end up being useless. one workshop in WA doesn't use MoTeC because they claim it "bend rods"

Tags
head or cam