Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama
Default Immobiliser/alarm Trouble? left me stranded

Hey guys

Just come back from Maccas, had a bit of car trouble but not a clue what the problem could be.

I jumped out the car ran in to get my frozen coke,took keys out etc didnt lock it coz kids in the car, was gone only maybe 2 minutes, pushed my button and jumped back in the car, key in ignition, pin pad lights up, key in my code start her up n off we go.

I dropped her into reverse and backed out, it was like she wanted to stall so i gave her a few more revs, turned off the air con coz it was a bit cold, and drove thru the parking lot but still she wasnt right so i looked at the instrument cluster and noticed the ABS warning light was on (never had a car with ABS before didnt even know there was an ABS light) so pulled over to scratch my head sat for a minute she was idling low turned on air con coz i was hot and the car shut off. (yeh i know)

Pulled the keys out and the alarm led was on so pushed the key chain button the led flashed rapidly for about 30 secs, stopped, and then the alarm went nuts, pushed the button again the alarm turned off. Put the key in, usual proceedure, cept this time the key pad wouldnt light up and button pushing did nothing.

Rang Josh (previous owner) coz i remembered he said something about an anti jack alarm or something but i hadnt really done any of the things that would trigger it. We locked it we unlocked it we locked it again left it for a bit unlocked it keys in ra ra still no key pad access finally just tried to start it with out the code and she fires up runs smooth like nuthin was ever wrong.

So yeh wtf? anyone got any idea what happened? I'm heading to Perth tomorrow (thursday) for pmh appointments with my son, can anyone suggest where i can take it to have it looked at that can do it with short notice same day coz i gotta get back to bunbury that night.

Thanks in advance.

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Sir AntiLag

UPDATE: Ok i just went out to the car unlocked it put key in and started it. I no longer need the pin to start the car, however when i turn the car off I cant just start it again I have to open and close the door (like i got out) lock it, unlock it open close door again (like i got in) keys in and it will start if i turn the keys but dont fire it and turn them off again it wont start if i turn them back on only if i go thru the get out, lock it, unlock, get in, proceedure again.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

bit confusing that
first post sounds exactly like anti high jack mode thats ok
second post hmmmm - does the car start or is it just cranking over
and do you have any lights at all on the keypad
1) with the car locked
2) with ignition on as if you where going to key in your code
?

Fox ive emailed you a brant manual
im wondering if your car has passive kill enabled

Last edited by Rexy03; 05-03-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Sir AntiLag

i got nuthin now. fuel pump primes but not turning over or even trying to. nothing from the key pad at all an i couldnt lock it with the button at all...radio came on all by its self and then went off then i could lock it then i couldnt then i could. it wont start at all........going to find a quiet corner to have a cry.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

the battery in your key could be buggered if your having trouble locking and unlocking as that part of the security system is seperate from the brant
the brant is an upgrade added to the standard central locking
do you have a spare key
if not the key has a little screw holding the plastic cover on and there is a little watch type battery inside
should be able to get a new one from the chemist
you might find that if you let the battery in the key recover for a few hours it may work agian for a short time
this may also be upsetting the brant
Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

scooby99 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to scooby99

Other possibilities is battery going flat or maybe a bad earth connection??? Either way this is a sign to rip the bloody thing out and upgrade to a decent reliable alarm (identi mark, auto watch, lazerline etc)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

The Brant is an excellent and generally very reliable system...I've had them in my Rexes since 2001 and have never had a problem....have a good read of the manual. If you need to reset it, PM me and I will send you instructions.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Sir AntiLag

Craig at standard level

if i recall correctly after you turn the car off and take of your seatbelt and open a door and get out u have to set the alarm and wait like 40secs for it to reset again cause if you start the car up without it locked or the little red light flashing it goes anti highjack mode. although thats the experience ive had wen it done that to me outside APC.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Brendan08 is unrated
Send a message via MSN to Brendan08

Maybe she doesn't even have a Brant? I know that GC's normally aren't fitted with Brants from factory.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Sir AntiLag

OK so I figured out my problem....The cooling pipe for the FMIC is fitted very snug up against the + terminal for the battery and it appears to have been shorting out on it for a while....the red cover thingy has been keeping it apart for a while but its been shorting and finally made a hole all the way thru it shorting it out and freaking out the alarm thing.... so I shoved a bit of rubber between the two and got her going and am off the the auto elec. in the morning to find a perminant solution. However I still dont need my pin to start the car so I'm thinking the alarm may need to be reset or something they are gonna look at that too.

Thanks again for all your help guys much appreciated.

Tags
immobiliser or alarm, left, stranded, trouble