Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Hand brake light on dash. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/18755-hand-brake-light-dash.html)

Taktics 23-03-2008 02:35 PM

Hand brake light on dash.

Ok last night when i took my car for a drive, i realized that when i gave it abit in second...my hand brake light will come on. If i let go of the throttle the light will go away. Then today, i when down to the shops, i was driving to the speed limit but the handbrake light came on and this time it came on for quite a while. Tried slight lifting the hand brake and releasing it, figure it might reset...but didnt help. After a minute of two or driving...it goes away.

Anyone know whats going on? Loose plug mayb?

SPEC IV 23-03-2008 02:39 PM

I would say a loose connection...

If you are willing to give it a go take apart your centre console where your hand brake is and make-sure all the wires are connected properly and that non are touching.

My 2 cents

tuna 23-03-2008 03:10 PM

chaffed wire under the console

WhiteRX 23-03-2008 04:53 PM

brake fluid low, either from pad displacement or a leak in the braking system. When you pull the hand brake on does it glow slightly brighter? You had a brake fluid flush recently hey... Possibly master cylinder has given up?

Taktics 23-03-2008 05:10 PM

Yes i did have a 100k service done about a month ago...i dont really wanna try taking the centre console part. breaking one of those clips is a bitch. Will go check the brake fluid now.

urabus 23-03-2008 06:15 PM

It is seriously easy to check the wire under the console. Start at the armrest thing. There are two screws that you need to take out and then you should just be able to lift the whole thing out. It will still be connected to the gear lever so just twist it sideways and you can see everything.

brendon

Taktics 23-03-2008 08:30 PM

Brake fluid seems fine. It is at the right level. Havent checked out the center console yet. Apart from that, any other possibilities?

SPEC IV 24-03-2008 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=Taktics]Brake fluid seems fine. It is at the right level. Havent checked out the center console yet. Apart from that, any other possibilities?[/QUOTE]

The only other possibility would be the connection next

ImPreSiV 24-03-2008 09:23 AM

yeah if its not the brake fluid, then its something under the console that is loose.

i think also, the handbrake light come on if you have blown a rear brake light, so its possible a connection in your tail lights may have got wet after you washed the car, or maybe there is a loose wire, or the globe is loose.

Im sure I remember a thread from years ago, about someone's handbrake light coming on for the stupidist of reasons.. but I can't find it now... but ill keep looking

Taktics 24-03-2008 02:53 PM

Thanks Impresiv, much appreciated. Will go through those points asap!