Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

impreza_GT at standard level

Any ideas on a good rear diff setup mr2. (ps, my diff terminology isnt crash hot lol)
Old 26-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

If you're dead set on a full RWD setup, then you pretty much gonna have to go R180. R160 wont last long under the abuse I assume you're gonna give it.

However DCCD is less punishing on the rear diff so R160 is fine unless you've got some serious power under the bonnet. Cheapest solution for a rear diff is to get a plated STI diff from an early STI-RA and reuse your crown wheel and pinion to match up to your current front diff. A second hand early RA R160 plated diff can usually be had for $400 or under. Look on yahoo auctions Japan for great deals. If you can find a OE RA plated diff. OE RA plated diffs require different shafts too. which is a bitch as RA shafts are a pain to get. You can however modify the standard VLSD shafts to fit a RA plated centre. Don't ask me how, I was explained to me once, and I have forgetten.

Yahoo japan also usually has plenty of aftermarket R160 clutch pack diffs. They will probably be a little more expensive, but are generally newer, tighter and in better condition. A brand new clutch diff is usually around the $1400+ mark. A 2-way clutch pack LSD is what you want for predictable and easier to control powerslides. Just remember, plated/clutch diffs are noisy driving around normally. Clunk, Clunk, Clunk.

The DCCD centre diff is a straight swap into a 5 speed. you'll need the DCCD centre diff, and controller.
Old 26-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

So goin R180...Is it a simple diff swap...or are there other components that need to be swapped also?

pretend your explaining to a 5 yr old lol
Old 26-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Mister Two at standard level

For an R180 swap, you'll need...

R180 Diff - If your going RWD, then you dont need to worry about getting the right ratio. but it would be a good idea to match up the ratio with your gearbox so that if you go back to AWD then at least you can leave the R180 setup in there.

R180 drive shafts

and R180 hubs - you also will more than likely need go to brembos or 2 pots as the larger R180 hand brake assembly cant be used with the WRX 260mm single pot caliper.

Best thing to do is find a complete gc8 V3-V6 STI-RA R180 rear end assembly all attached to the sub-frame with all the suspension linkages, diff, hub, shafts and brakes and just bolt that onto the car. Makes life alot easier. Expect to spend around $2-3K on a setup like that. This will mean you will be stuck with a 4.44 R180 diff, which unless you have a STI-GC8 gearbox or a 02-07 WRX gearbox, wont work in AWD. if you have a normal WRX gc8 gearbox, and you wish to have the capacity to convert back to AWD you will require a 3.54 R180 diff, which you can find in any 06-07 STI.

Last edited by Mister Two; 26-07-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 26-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

just get a dccd box, i have one and it goes sideways wickedly feels like a rear wheel drive

one of the guys on here built me a manual controller for $100 so now i can dial in to lock up the front, i've been loving it in the wet & experimenting a bit by going into corners with it more at the rear and then dialing it to lock the front to pull me through the corner, great fun on those big roundabouts on marmion ave, & yes its another wanky thing to play with
Old 27-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Subaru Tech Division

whats involved in a dccd conversion with a 5 speed?
Old 27-07-2008, 08:26 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Just fit a plated rear diff. I have the Kaaz 1.5 in the rear and it has taken a lot of abuse over the years. Capable of 500-600 hp in a 4WD configuration. It's also a lot lighter than the R180 seeing you don't have a lot of power to spare.

Better yet, fit the rear diff leaving it 4WD first for a while to have a play. With this set up you can push to power oversteer...yes you can drift it around a corner and no need for those wanky DCCD's But wait, there's more: Helis...ala WRC Northbridge style. Can't do that in a RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza_GT
tbh i actually hate the awd handling when its starts to kick out a bit...its unpredictable....bit of understeer, then crazy oversteer...in a split second
= Power off oversteer. Why? Corner entry speed is to high, resulting in the driver pooping them self and lifting off the throttle
With a RWD only WRX you will be cornering a lot slower and less likely to poop yourself, so this may be for you
Old 27-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Subaru Tech Division

^^spot on maddog lol :P
Old 27-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

dccd is just as skittish if you dont have the right diffs.

Long live the WRC
Old 27-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Sir AntiLag

clubspec2002 at standard level

I pooped myself doing 70 in the wet onto marmion ave hanging it, took my foot off and it cost me $1500 to fix. On stock drivetrain. Do the conversion it will be worth it

Tags
conversion, rwd