Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 09:22 AM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level
Default The Headgasket thread

Ok guys its about time I do this headgasket. The car has laster ages compared to the week or 2 everyone told me it would and its still got great compression (lucky I think) the coolant is fizzing off its chops and I need to fit the new clutch anyway so of the road it comes.

Now I have alot of questions that I have read differant things about when I've searched the forum.

1. Does the STI gasket fit to the non sti motor and is it better? (Worth the extra $50 for the 2)

2. The part numbers I have are:
Normal EJ20t Headgasket (suit Dec 94) 11044AA355
STI EJ20t Headgasket (Suit Dec 94) 11044AA355-483

I presume being almost the same number they would fit but I want to be 100% sure before I pay out for them. These numbers are From North Subaru (Wangara).

3. Is there anything else I should look at doing while I'm pulling the motor apart?

4. Is it possible to do the gaskets with the motor in the bay, I've been told its to hard and to drop the motor and I have been told its only a little bit harder to do in the engine bay. I'd prefer to leave the motor in as I'm doing it in my garage not in a workshop with a hoist and stuff.

Thanks. P.S I have already searched on this but I just want defenite answers from those who have done this several times as there are alot of conflicting posts on the forum!
Old 31-07-2008, 09:38 AM
STI Master

B4GT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to B4GT

You might as well get the heads reconditioned while they are off, all depends on the amount of km's the engine has done and what you want out of your car in the long run.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

The sti gasket is a ss laminate so its a tougher gasket, use it !...all depends how hard you wish to push the thing.

Don`t do the gaskets in the bay...thats 26.7 times harder than on an engine stand and it will result in a dodgy effort at best because of the tougher conditions....theres a few tricks involved in doing that way. Engine out is very easy.....will save time overall.

You`ll need to clean up surfaces etc correctly and have the heads skimmed(if not serviced as well) inspect block deck with good straight edge.

Be anal about surfaces, cleaning and bolt torquing....
Old 31-07-2008, 10:02 AM
STI Master

For an out and in job How long do you think the job should take? I understand servicing the heads could take a week or 2 depending on where I take them though. not including that should it be out one day and another day to drop it back in? Theres no little tricks to the EJ20 or special tools I'll need is there? I'm new to subarus, come from a rotary and nissan background.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

Out and strip in one day.(removal ~45min-2hrs, strip down about the same for an experienced person)

Assemsble and re-install in another day(clean prep and re-assemble ~2-3hrs, re-install, fill and test about the same.)

No sepcial tools as such(except maybe crank pull holder, but with engine out you can lock fly or use impact tool).

Use good single hex sockets everywhere.
1"(or 25mm open end spanner) to hold cams to undo wheels bolts(or 3/4 drive rattle gun)...be aware of piston position/timing and don`t bend your valves !
Remember what you took off from where !
If somthing isn`t happening...work smarter, not harder !
Get a copy of the FSM....follow it
Old 31-07-2008, 10:44 AM
STI Master

Ok thanks. While we are on the topic who is the best (and fairest price) for service ej20t heads? Also what have you paid?
Also I'm in Kinross so NOR preffered.

Also thanks for the prompt knowledgable replys guys, hopefully this will come up when others search so they can have great direct answers! cheers!
Old 31-07-2008, 12:13 PM
STI Master

JA50N at standard level

Rob, I was going to get my EJ20 heads serviced but then I ended up buying Tuna's STi heads. I was going to take my heads to Head Torque - headtorque.com - Give them a ring on 9244 7717 and ask for Gerry.

www.racetorque.com.au
www.anytimetowing.com.au
Old 31-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Hey man. Im in kinross to. Lots of punk kids up that way! I had some tossa throw somethin at my car while i was drivin. I have the white Foz. What you drive?

http://kap.industries/
Old 31-07-2008, 02:00 PM
STI Master

Thanks Jason, I'll give them a buzz!

Russ - We used to have the white impreza 1.6L with the sti kit and wing the black 17's black tailights and the big pink Perth-wrx sticker accross the back.

We upgraded to a red 94 WRX same black 17" rims and black tailights and coilovers. I have it occassionally now but Jem got her license and drives it most days :S

Theres a few nice subarus around this area.
Old 31-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

Personally if your doing it in a garage its going to be alot longer to drop the engine and then do the head. to make it easier do it in the engine bay you will find it easier less time consuming. you wont have to jack the car rite up to drop the engine. if your going to do the head, you going to have to get it machined by a engineer other wise it will leak so get them to check ur vavles, lifters, and for any crackes etc. do water pump, thermostate, rad serviced, new cam belt. your best bet is to get a headgasket kit and a cambelt and replace every gasket and seal in the kit.

tip make sure your block face that the head is on is spotless clean other wise you will get leaks and problems.

Tags
headgasket, thread