Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Steering feels light, front feels floaty? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/21779-steering-feels-light-front-feels-floaty.html)

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:07 PM

Steering feels light, front feels floaty?

Am I just imaginign things here? After my coilovers/sway bars/ALK and roll centre kit, it felt ok but past few days feels floaty and the steering very light, is this just normal? I might take it to the guys that did it to have a peek, but thought I would get some oppinions first.

Cheers

Kato 25-08-2008 06:21 PM

Had a proper alignment done?

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:30 PM

Yeah it had an alignment when all the gear was fitted. I don't know it just doesnt 'feel' right to me but who knows might just be nothing. Just steering feels too light to me.

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 06:38 PM

Thats the roll center kit most likely causing that, floaty front end from alignment would be toe out on the front.

Did they give you a printout of the alignment before and after, im guessing not.

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]Thats the roll center kit most likely causing that, floaty front end from alignment would be toe out on the front.[/QUOTE]

So it is normal or is there something that can be done?

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=SilentKilla]Thats the roll center kit most likely causing that, floaty front end from alignment would be toe out on the front.

Did they give you a printout of the alignment before and after, im guessing not.[/QUOTE]

Front Left
---------------
camber -1.8
caster 3.5
toe 0.2mm
SAI 17.2 deg
Included angle 15.4 deg

Front Left
---------------
camber -1.8
caster 3.8
toe 0.1mm
SAI 17.0 deg
Included angle 15.1 deg

Front
-------
Cross camber 0.0 deg
cross caster -0.4deg
Cross SAI 0.2 deg
Total Toe 0.1mm

Rear Left
--------
Camber -1.4deg
Toe 0.6mm

Rear Right
---------
Camber -1.6deg
Toe 0.3mm

Rear
-----
Cross Camber 0.2deg
Total Toe 0.8mm
Thrust Angele 0deg01'

Cheers

SilentKilla 25-08-2008 06:52 PM

Looks perfect, exactly what i would have done. Do you have an old alignment printout prior to doing these mods?

wannabox 25-08-2008 06:53 PM

Umm I had one somewhere mate but honestly no idea where it would be :). I guess I will just keep driving it and take it in soon to get checked over. Maybe its just me getting used to it.

Cheers for ya help btw

trusti rex 25-08-2008 07:06 PM

yeah mate if you didnt have toe out as stock at the rear i notice you do now it would make turn in feel a lot quicker (lighter steering) but little bit less stable at higher speeds (floaty feeling). but thats only if you didnt have it before

p.s. always a good idea to get before and after alignment printouts that ways if you dont like the new settings you know what the old one was. also the settings you have for toe out are within the recommended range for dccd equipped cars at the rear (max. is 1.0 per side / 0-2.0mm total) so if the feel doesnt bother you enjoy the new 'light' steering!

wannabox 25-08-2008 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=trusti rex]yeah mate if you didnt have toe out as stock at the rear i notice you do now it would make turn in feel a lot quicker (lighter steering) but little bit less stable at higher speeds (floaty feeling). but thats only if you didnt have it before[/QUOTE]

Ahh ok mate thanks that might explain it, before was just stock suspension, I will try find the old numbers, lemme go to the glovebox and check.

Cheers