Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

After a event, say at collie my car will be half way down the dipstick between full and empty. I consider this normal for a engine spending 80-100km out on the track at between 5500 and 8000rpm.

What viscosity oil do you run in your car subarooboy? 10w something?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Joel
Check your engine number against the reference lists, Ra can be either cast or forged pistons. I had a quick look but could not find the engine ref lists, if any one can provide a link it would be appreciated, I promise to book mark it this time. Many RA motors do not have forged pistons, that's the key diff between STI RA and WRX Ra. A WRX Ra engine (with cast pistons) was good enough for Tony Sullens to win Targa Tassie with a while back but they are not the STI Forged Pistons that Jamie Lister regularly kicks our butts with...

Go the compression test and please let us know the result, it took me less that an hour to do and it is really a rewarding exercise. Then again, Max and I have had better, more enjoyable times together...Tony shipped my new motor Yesterday.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Compression test is a go Mogan for sure, once I get a box in etc. And yes, I would say mine are cast being non-STi RA etc.

WhiteRX- thanks for that- very similar to me I guess?? Yes, I generally run Fuchs 10w40. Catch can doesn't fill up with road use, even booting it occasionally. Only during multilap or within 4-5 runs of Sprint series etc.
Old 14-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Sir AntiLag

Update- so I figure it's been approximately a month now and during this time I have had the chance to install and run the second catch can (which separates oil/ air from rocker breather system).
So to describe, in total there are 2 cans- one that seperates oil/ air from crank case breather and vents back into inlet stream (this recirculates through PCV at idle etc), the second taps into the piping running under the manifold from both head rocker covers and filters oil/ air, then vents back into inlet stream also.

Since fitting the second can (from heads) large amounts of oil deposits have ceased, in fact it has become very minimal so far! I have not got around to getting a compression test as of yet (just haven't had the time to part with car), but from all accounts of some friends here who have driven her, she doesn't feel down on compression etc.

The compression test is still on the cards just to be sure of where the engine is at, but so far this seems really strange! Is there some relationship with head breathers/ crank breather that anyone can think of where, without the heads being vented that the crank breather would erratically dump oil???

Last edited by subarooboy; 14-11-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 15-11-2008, 03:58 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

The issue is have you had it on sustained boost during this time? If no read on.

"Max" still ran a 12.9, pb before 12.83 (TD04 respect) with no apparent loss in power whilst #2 pot showed only 90psi dry! Repeating, only on the track with at least a minutes worth of full volume did the crank case pressure build enough to fill the catch can...a small crack in the ring land or similar allows pressure to build etc...

Max has driven "very nicely" for over a year with this issue, unfortunately self healing was not an option I paid for with my Motec so his old motor was finally extracted this week. How appropriate the whole country stopped for a minutes silence on Tuesday to consider fallen comrades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy
Compression test is a go Mogan for sure
btw, it 's Morgan Joel

Last edited by maddog; 15-11-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 27-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Sir AntiLag

Update- Hi all, just thought I would update (for archives etc):

Have now taken the car out for a few more punts on the track and only noticing maybe an inch or so oil trapped after 2 hours worth of heavy/ multi-lap driving (yes... with resting inbetween!!).

The oil found is only filling up the can rigged to vent the crank case, none really to mention in the other can that vents head breathers etc.
I haven't been near a shop in a while, so still haven't taken an official compression test as 'Mogan' suggested; however I am only left to conclude that the original setup I had running (initially with single can) was in someway removing oil out of the crank case based on the turbo inlet 'suction' effect under consistant heavy/ multi-lap driving???
Old 27-04-2009, 04:16 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

blah blah blah...Mogan...blah bah blah...

Yes, my new motor puts about the same per event into my can. I am tempted to put a 3-4 mm restrictor in the line from the catch can to the inlet pipe and see if this slows down the scavenging effect. But I am seeing boost to 1.65bar
Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Sir AntiLag

Morgan- I've just completed another couple of month's thrashing (street and motorsport), and can safely say perhaps a 1/4 build up in crank-case can overall now.

I don't know about your restrictor idea, but perhaps try my method of twin can setup (with decent baffling to condense oil/ air flow in each)?
I know you're probably running almost double my boost pressure again(!), but running a seperate line to scrub crank case> to can 1> and back to inlet + a line from joiner pipe that connects both head breathers to scrub heads> to can 2> and back into inlet has definately done the trick for me!
The other bonus is that you can keep an eye on where the oil is coming from this way

Don't really know what was happening before- I can only conclude that pressure from heads not being vented was building up in crank case (which was vented to can at the time). This pressure build up + drawing effect of return pipe just before turbo must have been over- filling the can during 'spirited' driving??!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:26 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

http://jprova.co.jp/products/intake/...00000qmy6.html
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

JME have read positive things about this http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/334 not cheap though.

Tags
cans, catch, guys, oil