Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   tiny backfiring with pod filter?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/23230-tiny-backfiring-pod-filter.html)

jessica_jane86 13-11-2008 12:14 PM

tiny backfiring with pod filter??

everytime i put a pod on, my car backfires, not loud, really quietly and every few minutes depending on gear etc, like when i change down a gear..

then when i take it off, its fine and runs beautifully. its odd because all the pod does it filter air so im baffled.. any ideas? iv tried a couple, this one is just a cheapo one and its the one that backfires the least, also once i have one on, it doesnt run as smooth anymore.

u guys all know a heap more than me so i hope you get what i mean?

(theres no other mods apart from exhaust as i was gonna sell it but changed my mind so the pod was the first thing to go back on, yes i need a tune but thats not the issue)

nicecar 13-11-2008 12:27 PM

Ide say the tune is your issue. Backfiring is great anyway!

Rexxar 13-11-2008 12:32 PM

i love to have backfiring when shifting down gears lol like my old s13 shitter
dont the 06-07 need a tune when you install a exhaust system more then a dif back? i say that may be the problem, spark plugs...

DEDLYWEPN 13-11-2008 12:34 PM

Well i've got the stock air box on mine and it backfires, i think its to do with the bigger exhaust.

Mike 13-11-2008 12:34 PM

Yerp, definately running a little rich mate. Got the same issue. It isn't harmful, so if you have other things in mind for your engine I;d hold off on the tune though. I'm just saving up to buy everything I want for the engine, then put it all on at once and tune it.

jessica_jane86 13-11-2008 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Rexxar]i love to have backfiring when shifting down gears lol like my old s13 shitter
dont the 06-07 need a tune when you install a exhaust system more then a dif back? i say that may be the problem, spark plugs...[/QUOTE]

iv heard 06-07 are self learning, on the inside of my bonnet lid it says self learning ecu or something along those lines? to what degree is it self learning?

but yes i definitely need a tune so much work has been done to it, then taken off, now being put back on by myself and my bf (who knows heaps about rex's but hes away at the moment so i cant ask him )

jessica_jane86 13-11-2008 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Mike]Yerp, definately running a little rich mate. Got the same issue. It isn't harmful, so if you have other things in mind for your engine I;d hold off on the tune though. I'm just saving up to buy everything I want for the engine, then put it all on at once and tune it.[/QUOTE]

ohhh ok i see!!! awesome thanks heaps for that, now im not worried, i was so worried it would blow up or something!! so that means i can put the good pod back on and let it backfire rather than have the shitty pod on. mmm i love the sound they make :D

nauli 13-11-2008 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=jessica_jane86]ohhh ok i see!!! awesome thanks heaps for that, now im not worried, i was so worried it would blow up or something!! so that means i can put the good pod back on and let it backfire rather than have the shitty pod on. mmm i love the sound they make :D[/QUOTE]
Warning...disregard the advice to hold off on a tune...it is a very well known fact that if you change the exhaust on a MY06/07 you should get it tuned. True that if you drive around sedately all the time you won't probably have an issue, but if you boot it, then sometimes you may get detonation...I certainly wouldn't be risking an engine problem every time I put my foot down.

jessica_jane86 13-11-2008 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=nauli]Warning...disregard the advice to hold off on a tune...it is a very well known fact that if you change the exhaust on a MY06/07 you should get it tuned. True that if you drive around sedately all the time you won't probably have an issue, but if you boot it, then sometimes you may get detonation...I certainly wouldn't be risking an engine problem every time I put my foot down.[/QUOTE]

really? so if i was to get a tune now, then dont i have to get a tune once i get the front mount and everything back on? or can i just get a minor one

American Dave 13-11-2008 01:27 PM

really a timing issue for you then. If you are going FMIC really soon then hold off and tune for all the mods at once and drive easy til then. If you are waiting a while for FMIC then go ahead and get tuned (Verso would be my choice) now. Then when you get FMIC you can have them re-tune for the cost of dyno time.