Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Big end Gone (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/24649-big-end-gone.html)

2DrSTi 02-02-2009 03:22 PM

Big end Gone

Guys

Just looking for a bit of advice.
I am currently trying to sell my 99Sti (wife says it must go baby on the way)

Problem is i noticed a rattle a couple of weeks ago and on getting it checked it looks like the big end is shot.

What are my options? rebuild? bottom end? crate motor?

any help is appreciated.

Cheers

PS anyone looking for a 2 door with shot bottom end ;)

blue.spec 02-02-2009 03:26 PM

how much you chasing mate?
send me a PM

BALISTC 02-02-2009 03:34 PM

Your best bet is a new bottom end...EJ207 short motor (just the block, no ancillaries or heads) straight from the crate.

Costs the same as rebuilding your stock motor by the time you factor in labour and parts, and costs a lot less than a proper performance rebuild.

That, or a 2nd hand motor from somewhere like JWS, or on the forums.

2DrSTi 02-02-2009 03:37 PM

Ballistic

Where do i start looking for a crate bottom end?

Cheers

urabus 02-02-2009 03:38 PM

Bearing in mind what the car is I think you would turn alot of people away if you did the rebuild on the cheap. i.e cheap secondhand wrx motor.

Do what Joe suggested any buy an MY02 sti bottom end and bolt all your existing bits on.

From memory (exchange rate may have hiked prices if you cant find old stock) but you are looking at about $3800 for the motor and about $600 for all the gaskets and an oil pump. This is all ex labor.

Brendon

2DrSTi 02-02-2009 03:40 PM

Urabus, even though i am selling i wouldnt do it on the cheap, its a clasic and i couldnt do that to my baby :)

jzr 02-02-2009 03:47 PM

i have just had a ej207 fitted. depending on how bad the damage is you may need your heads looked at and cleaned up

MKVIGTI 02-02-2009 03:47 PM

Could advertise as is. Known problem will cost me x amount to fix and based on that selling for this price. Leave the new owner with the option of going as cheep or as silly as they like.

If I was thinking about building something up would certainly consider a car that the motor is coming out anyway.

No bites in a week or so get the thing fixed how you see fit.

gtrken 02-02-2009 03:49 PM

To give you an idea, RMS does a drive in-drive out service using a new ej207 bottom end, completely recond heads ( valves faced, blasted, seats cut, heads faced, blasted and pressure tested ) with new timing belt, seals, gaskets, recond oil pump, new water pump, spark plugs, thermostat etc etc for approx $7800 including all lubricants, coolants and filter. Additional items are usually hoses, belts and clutch plus your heads MAY need valve guides.
This comes with a 6 month 10,000KM warranty ( subject to conditions ).
Or we can supply a bottom end EJ207 for $3500

Cheers
Ken

2DrSTi 02-02-2009 03:51 PM

PM Sent