Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2009, 09:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

DZENCI at standard level
Default ...

I am looking at building a engine to suit 300+kw. I would like to know where I should start at. I am budgeting somehere in between 20-30k for a new built engine, sti goodies like brakes, box diffs and so on.
I was considering a bit of track work but that can always come later if I decide. Now I would like a nice street car that is pretty much bulletproof.
Any feed back is welcome and will help with what direction I want to go with the car.

cheers

Last edited by DZENCI; 06-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

search search search
Old 25-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Sleeve it as bores are poopy from what i have found through reading many ej257 build posts.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:27 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

20K would be a 'start' if you're doing things properly.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Your first decision should be "who is going to do the work?"

If you choose a workshop in Perth you trust, then choose the ECU and motor package that they recommend. A list of some of the workshops in Perth that work on Subaru's can be found here:
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/6775-perth-workshops.html

If you choose to do the work yourself, good luck! Another thing to consider is that using engine parts, turbos, ECU's etc that your chosen tuner doesn't like can lead to issues like them not wanting to tune your car, not being as aggressive with the tune leading to less horsepower. But thats up to each tuner.

Have you got lots of money? you'll need it. Building an engine seems cheap when you look at the price of parts individualy, but start adding them up, import duty, GST, labour, genuine gaskets and fluids etc and you can be in for a big suprise. Genuine good quality parts are expensive, China knock offs are cheap. The last thing you want to do is spend dozens of thousands on a motor, not have enough money left over and buy some shitty china turbo that fails and takes a motor with it. One saying you'll get used to is "oh well, while i'm here I may as well ..." Got the heads off for the engine build? "i guess I may as well get cams" oh well, the cams are out, "i guess i may as well get spings and valves" etc etc. things you never wanted and never budgeted for will come out of the woodwork and empty your wallet

Some places i'd look:

All Star Garage are a Cosworth dealer in Australia and the owners have some seriously quick WRX's, they have done a few hi-po builds including:

Jaron - http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/20597-my-pig.html
Wai - http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/12954-project-%5Bgive-wai%5D.html

Cypher Industries have the quickest under 2L car (FWD Civic) running around wanneroo at the moment

Mattmy99 - http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/22580-mattmy99s-hatch-build-thread.html

Maximum Motorsport are a local Rally shop behind Dean Herridge, have been in the industry for ages.

wrxrw - http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13417

That's not an exhaustive list of places in WA that can do your work but it should help you start.

Now that you have chosen a workshop to do the work, choose what you want: Fast street car, drag strip cars, long track car (wanneroo, collie), short course (point to point motorkhana, hill climb) etc. A lot of people come on here saying "i want to build my car to occasionaly race it" and talk it up, but never go anywhere near a track, not even to watch. Are you one of them? Do you want a drag car that has sloppy suspension so it squats off the line and runs a 10? do you want a heap lag and a heap of horsepower and some handling so you can rocket down the main straight at Wanneroo? do you want to be able to blaze the rear tyres around an MC course? these decisions will help mould what mods will work for you.

How reliable do you want your "weekend car" to be? is it always going to be off the road with a snapped shaft or a busted turbo seal? will this shit you to tears?

The old saying comes into play and is so god damn true its irritatingly funny: You can have a car thats cheap, fast and reliable - choose two
Old 25-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZENCI
I am in no rush for the rebuild, still have to do the homework.
I am thinking of doing a 2.6 stroker. I dont know if the stock block is any use for this or should i go a EJ257 block and work from there.
Budget $20k for the build alone if you're going for a 2.6 - That's at 2008 prices and not including any other parts (turbo, injectors, ecu, tune, etc etc etc).

Why not go for less power and forget the build? Worry about it when your motor pops. For example, 250-270kW is still a descent whack of power for both road and track.

Have a look at Andrew's wrx as an example:
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/20621-ferals-06-wrx.html

I explored the same path you did, and unless you're genuinely serious about getting into track work and have the surplus cash to pay for endless repairs and breakdowns (most likely unforseen ones), save your cash and enjoy a few bolt-on goodies.

$0.02.
Old 25-03-2009, 11:18 PM
WRXRW

my advice, to you or anyone else thinking of going down this road....take a detour!

power (pun inteded) to ya if you go ahead with it!

maybe you can succed where many many others have failed?
Old 26-03-2009, 05:41 AM

Elrico at standard level

I dont think this will be any different Ramon. Like all high end builds not everything stays in one piece all the time. The amount of stress these parts get from all the torque is bound to make things give way, but your not one i should be lecturing on this, hell, you are king of non-bolt on mods hahahahaha!

Be prepared is all i say, especially with a 2.5ltr build. See Trainwrexs about them, hes got one atm i believe.
Old 26-03-2009, 08:02 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Before you do this i would asj a few people with powerfull cars to take you for a ride in them. With that much power they become horrible to drive on the road. Heavy clutches, lag, bad ecconomy. Be happy with 200kw at the wheels and use that on the track. If it was me. I would go 2l as well.

http://kap.industries/
Old 26-03-2009, 04:41 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

tommo at standard level

before ya do this ide look at the 06 sti for sale in the cars section with all the ducks nuts cosworth crap already on it... sell your car and buy that.. its not your own build but if thats what your aiming for you will save yourself alot of hassle probably money and you will also have a real sti not one of the many copies out there.

my opinion and definately what i would do in the situiation, no one gets money back on mods so you may aswell be the one to reap the rewards.

Tags
engine, rebuild