Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Sump plug washer (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/26100-sump-plug-washer.html)

deviant 16-04-2009 08:06 PM

Sump plug washer

So I picked up an oil filter and bottle of oil today so I can do an oil change before next weeks trackday.

Now I remember a time when oil filters always had a couple of copper washers in the box with it but for some reason they dont anymore.

Would anyone know off the top of their head what size washer you need for your sump plug? I grabbed a box with half inch washers but obviously it would be nice to know if they are somewhere like the right size BEFORE I let all the oil out :D

06 WRX if it makes a difference!

Rexy03 16-04-2009 08:13 PM

20.2mm id x 26mm od 2mm thick
Subaru supply a purpose made crush washer for the job
Not a copper one but a (single use) pressed metal one which crushes on instalation
You can only get them from Subaru..........

You can, and I do, re-use the old washer a few times before they need replacing - as long as its not squished dead flat it shouldnt leak

Rossco 16-04-2009 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=deviant]
Now I remember a time when oil filters always had a couple of copper washers in the box with it but for some reason they dont anymore.[/QUOTE]

Washers with filters? Never seen that, unless you've had european cars with cartridge filters?

deviant 16-04-2009 08:38 PM

I love these sort of car forums, someone always knows EXACTLY the info you need down to .2mm!

Well it would have had a new washer on at its last 'official' service so hopefully I can get away with re-using it.

What happened to the days of just using copper washers that fit over the plug?!? I'm certain the washer I picked up are around 2mm thick and are concave so will squish when its done up....

deviant 16-04-2009 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=LegacyRS]Washers with filters? Never seen that, unless you've had european cars with cartridge filters?[/QUOTE]

Eh....Nah in the good old days of 10 years back you always got a couple of sump plug washers in the box with the oil filter.

Rossco 16-04-2009 08:54 PM

Hmm been in the auto industry (in parts) for 16 years, sometimes we throw them in as a bonus, but they never come packaged with the spin-on style filters.

Soft Alloy washers or silicone o-rings are used now because of the shit alloy used in sumps these days.

GX-REX 16-04-2009 09:02 PM

On this I got a magnetic sump plug from ebay for my car. Came with a aluminium washer and it was too hard to crush.
Leaked like a seive and thought I had done a rear main. Did a service on my car a few weeks back and put some thread tape on and no more leaks.

SweLLy 16-04-2009 09:14 PM

ive havent sold a filter with a washer yet :P

must be rare

Rossco 16-04-2009 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=SweLLy]ive havent sold a filter with a washer yet :P

must be rare[/QUOTE]

Who are you working for bud?

Alternate 16-04-2009 10:37 PM

the copper washers, if theyve been flattened bit much you can rejuvenate a bit.

Hang it on a coat hanger and hang in a flame until it just starts to discolour, then dump it in cool water, and it should soften up a bit