Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Which tyre would u recommend? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/27632-tyre-would-u-recommend.html)

damo 02-07-2009 10:39 PM

Which tyre would u recommend?

hey guys just wondering what u all think or could recommend from experince word of mouth or any advice?

i am looking at getting new tyres soon and the 2 tyres i am leaning towards are

Yokohama S-drives

OR

Hankook R-S2

plz let me no any information/advice/expernices with these tyres or any other tyres that u could remmened around the prices of these tyres

Cheers heaps guys

Reguards
Damian

WRXRW 02-07-2009 10:41 PM

haven't had the pleasure of those, but something similar, i recently went for the hankook s1 evo's and im very happy with them.

Terry.Wrist 02-07-2009 11:29 PM

I have S.Drives and am happy with them.
Mine have close to 30,000kms (by calculation), have had one No Limits night on them and very surpisingly still have a lot of life left.
Another tyre to consider is the Bridgestone Adrenalin, I haven't driven on them but have heard good things

V3 RA 03-07-2009 01:34 AM

i have driven on both, adrenaline 16s which were great and s drive 18s which are equally good. Not sure if you can get s drives in 16s damo? They are an expensive tyre but you wont regret it.

astralex 03-07-2009 03:15 AM

I had the Ventus RS-2 on the blue trolley before this current set. Awesome tire in the dry, shithouse in the wet. Apparently they are not legal (?)

muggz 03-07-2009 06:34 AM

ˆˆ
Thats bullshite! Wheels world, Tech 9 tyres and many other places selling RS-2 and i never heard it being illegal? Where did you get that information from?

REXLLENT 03-07-2009 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=WRXRW;374654]haven't had the pleasure of those, but something similar, i recently went for the hankook s1 evo's and im very happy with them.[/QUOTE]

x2 i have a set on as well and like ramon very happy with them

ImPreSiV 03-07-2009 07:42 AM

I had s-drives on my sti. great tyre. ran -2°44' camber on the fronts and did 3 track days in them, plus approx 10000kms and they didn't look like they had even lost any tread. Altho, I had a pretty strict tyre maintenance schedule and had them rotated regularly and made sure pressure was equal every week.

phizzle 03-07-2009 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=muggz;374684]ˆˆ
Thats bullshite! Wheels world, Tech 9 tyres and many other places selling RS-2 and i never heard it being illegal? Where did you get that information from?[/QUOTE]

Possibly from the speed rating Muggz. I've got the Hankook Ventus RS-2's and they are superb in the dry and I haven't had any issues with them in the wet that I didn't expect, as in the car still wants to indersteer if you push to hard into a corner. In saying that they are definitely a dry weather based performance tyre. If it was good enough for a Porsche entering Targa West last year when I got them from Wheels World, it was good enough for my chariot :) As was explained to John, the car is being set up as a weekend motorkhana/sprint based daily driver and that's what he recommended to me.

Apparently the Hankook K107 are a better all weather tyre (cost less per corner too) but I haven't put them on any of my cars. It's just that the compound in the RS-2's is so hard compared to most road based tyres. Hence the designation of RS-2 and also why wet weather performance isn't as good as some other tyres (although again, I can't say they are bad in the wet because I don't think they are at all).

nauli 03-07-2009 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=REXLLENT;374693]x2 i have a set on as well and like ramon very happy with them[/QUOTE]

x3..I've just replaced a set of S1 EVO's (K107) that I had on my STI basically from new. I got almost 40,000km out of them (with constant 2 deg negative camber) and they performed very well albeit a tad noisy when they got down a bit. I would recommend them. The S-Drives are apparently good too as are Bridgestone Adrenalin.