Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Are BOV's legal??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/29658-blow-off-valves-legal.html)

riceman1991 15-10-2009 01:32 AM

Are BOV's legal???

Just wondering if anybody knows the law on them? I got yellow stickered with a HKS SSQV, and i have heard that they are legal if they are plumbed back and sevral different things? Does anybody know whats going on ??? or if it is possible to get a permit or something for it, as i dont wana get stickered again. cheers

doadrift 15-10-2009 01:37 AM

Your SSQ is atmospheric vent asin it release the air striahgt into the engine bay. A plumb back has a hose that recirculates the air. Your SSQ will be illegal unless there is a way to completely shut it off.

No Permits for atmo bovs but I could trade you for a sti plumb back bov if you want? If you have a pd filter you can still hear the ptsshhh noise as I preume thats why you have it fitted?

D34THROW 15-10-2009 01:38 AM

[QUOTE=riceman1991;401491]Just wondering if anybody knows the law on them? I got yellow stickered with a HKS SSQV, and i have heard that they are legal if they are plumbed back and sevral different things? Does anybody know whats going on ??? or if it is possible to get a permit or something for it, as i dont wana get stickered again. cheers[/QUOTE]

You can get permit for blowvalve as long they are not loud. I got permit for me one last time.

doadrift 15-10-2009 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=D34THROW;401494]You can get permit for blowvalve as long they are not loud. I got permit for me one last time.[/QUOTE]

That was pretty lucky... I've never been able to get one permitted, something to do with emissions and the fact the police/government/pits hate imports.

smerm07 15-10-2009 07:33 AM

ive got my hks ssqv plumb backed and i think it sounds better than when it was atmos. never got a yellow sticker, just got sick of the sound/backfire/fuel consumption.

BALISTC 15-10-2009 07:46 AM

I've got my HKS SSQV set to "fully sick", and I've never had a problem with it.. I'm sure if I got pulled over, they'd probably be more worried about my ride height.

That being said, I have a permit saying that my BOV is to be "quiet in operation"... not SILENT, but QUIET. It can be done.

Kato 15-10-2009 09:23 AM

Problems:

1) Noise. Need to be under 92dB (I think that's the figure?)
2) Venting unmetered gasses to the atmosphere.

Options:

1) Go stock. It's better than 99% of the aftermarket whistles
2) Put stock on. Clear yellow. Put SSQV back on. Wait...

BALISTC 15-10-2009 09:30 AM

IMHO, the only BOV to run if you insist on running something other than a stock one, is a Japanese pull-type BOV... they don't ever leak, because they seal up under boost.

ImPreSiV 15-10-2009 07:25 PM

I assume ur the guy who came and bought my STI bov off me a couple of weeks ago.

As the others have said, Any BOV that vents atmospherically is technically illegal, but i have heard of people getting permits for them. However, I think it, for some reason, depends on which pits you go to, and what mood the inspector is in.

Either:

a: put the sti one on, and leave it on

b: put the sti one on, go over the pits, change to back to the HKS one and just try not to vent too loudly around cops, or draw the cops attention

c: attempt to get a permit for ur HKS one?

good luck

rstasy 15-10-2009 10:14 PM

or be a fully sickunt like me and don't run a bov at all

turbine flutter is bliss (sound wise, but terrible for your turbo - i reckon ;)). and i don't think you can get yellowed for not having one. but my flutter is ridiculously loud - infact it's more an amplified dose than anything. come to think of it, i'd probably get yellowed if i let it off on fullboost due to the sheer sound of the thing..

simple fix: whack a stockie on whilst taking it over the pits, then remount your ssq after it's been passed - and from there on in; drive under boost around busy areas/cop hot spots (that's what i do), or, alternatively - get a plumbback. atmosphere vents sound ricey as fuck imho.