Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Safe boost to run in stock EJ205 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/31934-safe-boost-run-stock-ej205.html)

Rossco 11-02-2010 05:31 PM

^^ that's an ECU tuning issue not the solenoid!

I run the stock BCS on my version 6 running off the Power FC and it holds 1.6 bar no probs, never overshoots & response is crisp.

too much gain will the ecu overshooting & the boost spiking.

teejay 11-02-2010 06:06 PM

Some of you need to let 2002 go when all manual bleeds were utter shit.

Some of the new stuff give awesome control - ill find my friends dyno graph later, one of the flattest boost lines ive ever seen off a new style manual bleed.

Having said that, id rather a good EBC in the car.

type25 11-02-2010 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;430812]^^ that's an ECU tuning issue not the solenoid!

I run the stock BCS on my version 6 running off the Power FC and it holds 1.6 bar no probs, never overshoots & response is crisp.

too much gain will the ecu overshooting & the boost spiking.[/QUOTE]

^^ I think it's more than that.

most tuners, when using upgraded turbos on gd's either recommend upgrading the factory bcs to a mac or prodrive one,
OR recommend after market stand alone ebc.

the strange thing is on the dyno boost is very stable.

Rossco 11-02-2010 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;430824]Some of you need to let 2002 go when all manual bleeds were utter shit.

Some of the new stuff give awesome control - ill find my friends dyno graph later, one of the flattest boost lines ive ever seen off a new style manual bleed.

Having said that, id rather a good EBC in the car.[/QUOTE]

No offence intended TJ.

There's only so much a needle valve, a ball bearing and a spring can do.

EBC's react to atmospheric changes, fixed or gated bleeds do not.

axle 11-02-2010 08:27 PM

What's the best solution on a RS Lib engine running a TD05 and a PowerFc Pro?
I have a bleed valve ATM. Just want to run sensible boost around 16psi but have the ability to up it if needed.

phizzle 11-02-2010 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=axle;430865]What's the best solution on a RS Lib engine running a TD05 and a PowerFc Pro?
I have a bleed valve ATM. Just want to run sensible boost around 16psi but have the ability to up it if needed.[/QUOTE]
I've had exactly zero experience with them, but you can get an Apexi boost control kit to work with your Power FC

[URL]http://www.nengun.com/apexi/power-fc-boost-controller-kit[/URL]

Rossco 11-02-2010 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=type25;430829]^^ I think it's more than that.

most tuners, when using upgraded turbos on gd's either recommend upgrading the factory bcs to a mac or prodrive one,
OR recommend after market stand alone ebc.

the strange thing is on the dyno boost is very stable.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I thought we were talking factory turbo's.

Many upgraded turbos run 12-15 psi actuators and this requires a completely different duty cycle / boost map & flow from the bcs to effectively control boost.....this is where the factory system comes up short....It's designed for 5-7 psi actuators and struggles to control the stronger actuators.

The stock system, with a factory turbo & with the boost pill in place, should be stable to around 1.6 bar....If it gets flakey the first point of call is the boost pill, which when replaced with a 0.9mm restrictor (ala uk P1 spec) this tames down spikes & softens the system response/ reduces overshoots (stock is 1.5mm).

Rossco 11-02-2010 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=axle;430865]What's the best solution on a RS Lib engine running a TD05 and a PowerFc Pro?
I have a bleed valve ATM. Just want to run sensible boost around 16psi but have the ability to up it if needed.[/QUOTE]

The Power fc drives the factory boost system out of the box (as mine is set up)....... Have you tried it?
You have boost targets, gain and a .25 Kcgm overshoot safety threshold built in to the ecu.

Look under:
Settings> Boost> there will be 4 individual boost 'maps' available.

I have mine set: 1.65 Kcgm gain of 62....I get 1.66 constantly on the commander readout.

Note: I have my gain set high as it ramps the car on boost pretty hard (which I like).

If you have the pro you have the 0 road speed launch control too / fuel cut rpm limiter function....Bastard!

P.s the boost control kit is for Nissans & mazdas....On a scoob it uses all the factory wiring, factory map sensor, pressure exchange solenoid & bcs.

jEstEr? 11-02-2010 08:50 PM

The grimmspeed EBCS is a rebadged MAC one anyway

axle 11-02-2010 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;430878]The Power fc drives the factory boost system out of the box (as mine is set up)....... Have you tried it?

If you have the pro you have the 0 road speed launch control too / fuel cut rpm limiter function....Bastard!
[/QUOTE]

Nah haven't tried it yet. Still have to spray the car before its ready for road duty. Just taken it for one test run so no experience to speak of with it yet. Might try the standard boost controller and see how that goes. Will be getting it tuned once its finished.

Its definately the Pro. PFC was a major selling point. Only noticed the Pro name come up on the screen after I had had it a while (bonus) expecially for the early GC8/RS wiring.

and I think the Pro has the ignition cut whereas the std has the fuel cut......I think