Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Boost leak or failing turbo - 1994 WRX (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/34639-boost-leak-failing-turbo-1994-wrx.html)

ballbag 30-05-2010 11:17 AM

Like I said in my first post, I've already removed the BOV. Feeder pipe to TMIC is ruled out, TMIC itself is ruled out, boost gauge is also ruled out (only fitted it after this problem started to try to work out what's going on).

The more I think about it the more I think it's the turbo, but I don't understand turbos well enough to know what might be wrong in there.

pcracing 01-06-2010 07:33 AM

Mate sounds o.k. to me in the video the only other thing i can think of is if you took it o redline and the thing is working hard you might have a couple of bent fins.... although doubtful.
What turbo is it? after you've been for a drive and you turn the car off listen to the turbo spool down and see if there's and abnormal ticking type sounds etc coming from it.

the other one could be start her up and spary something like misty water over the engine bay and see if any of the joints blow it away might show a leak up.

ballbag 01-06-2010 08:05 AM

Original turbo, TD05.

No weird sounds when cooling down.

Got it in the shop this morning on the dyno. See what that says.....

ballbag 01-06-2010 10:28 AM

Ok, seems there's a couple of bent blades in the turbo.

Turbo is the stock TD05. Before I get this rebuilt, any ideas on where to get hold of a replacement asap?

Mister Two 01-06-2010 10:35 AM

It would be cheaper to buy a good condition second hand replacement. You can usually pick up one for $250-300.

but if you are still keen to get it rebuilt, get the turbo rebuilt 20G spec. It wont cost much more and will give you heaps of head room for more power.

ballbag 01-06-2010 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;459094]It would be cheaper to buy a good condition second hand replacement. You can usually pick up one for $250-300.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but where might I find one?

Mister Two 01-06-2010 05:08 PM

You don't have to use a early WRX td05 either. Any modern WRX VFXX turbo will bolt on. The only extra thing you will require is a 2.5 inch 90 degree silicone bend on the front of the turbo so that it mates up with your standard intake pipe.

ballbag 01-06-2010 07:15 PM

How effective would that be without remapping? Car runs OEM ECU.

Mister Two 01-06-2010 07:18 PM

it'll be fine. Early ECUs can handle a moderate turbo upgrade without retune. Keep the boost at the same level and it'll be fine. Turn up the wick and it may run a little rich. But its nothing to worry about.

ballbag 02-06-2010 11:02 AM

Just so I understand the difference, it's the the post-compressor side that needs to be adapted, correct? Airbox to turbo is a direct match?