Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level
Default Anyone running a GT3071R?

Hey Guys,

Looking for some guidance.

I initially wanted to keep my 03 STI close to stock, but the bug has bitten once again and I want.... MORE

So, I have had a quick chat to Nic from ASG who mentioned a TD06 20G. My mechanical knowledge is, how shall we say basic go say the least. I do understand air flow, motor size compared to turbo size and how a turbo works.

I have searched a fair amount and have come up with a Garrett GT3071R. Any opinions or input on the turbo / turbo selection would be great.

SO between rexnet, iwsti, nasoic I have found some compressor maps, trying my best to learn how to read them from this thread

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=258035

Is anyone running this turbo on a stock 2.0 ltr? How does it perform? Can anyone take me for a quick blast in a car with a TD06 20G running a 2.0ltr, or a GT3071 / 3076? Or both?

When would full boost hit, am guessing around the 4k ish mark?

Guess I would be looking for around 370awhp and around 450 Nm of torque.

I have already, TBE, Walbro and a Verso netting 250 is AWHP and 370 Nm

So my intentions are

Air intake kit
FMIC bot sure of brand
Garrett GT3071R IWG - Stock position mount (so I have read) 21 -22psi
Decap or bigger injectors
External swirl pot - (I have issues under half a tank on right handers)
Unequal length headers - Or equal, what do yall think? I do understand the difference, just wanted to keep the rumble if I can
Boost solenoid
RE tune

Possibly meth / water injection??

I have probably rambled on enough. My budget is around 13 - 15 k. I want to do this right the first time, hence me writing this.

Any opinions / experience / guidance would be great.

I know all of this might sound a bit all over the shop but I hope you peeps get the idea.

Looking forward toy your replys.

Simon
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

I have a GT3076R with an 0.61 turbine housing and external wastegate and I'm happy as with it but my engine is a 2.5 that's not exactly stock so can't help you with a direct comparison but if you keep the turbine housing nice and small ie. 0.61 and do those other mods to it then it should sing beautifully. If it does end up a bit laggy (which I don't think it should be) you can always give it a small squirt (30hp) of NOS to kick it along a bit which for around $600 is a small outlay if you are planning to spend 13 - 14K.

But I wouldn't worry about the water/meth injection, from what I understand it's really only of use if you are running things at the edge already and want to give it a few more degrees of timing but with a stock motor I don't think that'd be the best option.

With the headers, equal length are more efficient and will deliver more power but you will lose some (not all) of the boxer rumble. Personally I like the boxer rumble so I'm sticking with unequals.

Just remember, give it lots of air to breathe, lots of fuel to burn and keep it all nice and cool and of course have it all tuned nicely and you'll be laughing.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'd go twin scroll on your turbo seeing as you are changing everything anyway. Faster spool!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

im going to be running a GT3082 with 82 rear housing on a built 2lt. will let you know how it turns out but could be a wile.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbudgie View Post
I have a GT3076R with an 0.61 turbine housing and external wastegate and I'm happy as with it but my engine is a 2.5 that's not exactly stock so can't help you with a direct comparison

Edit: Forgot to add, I'd go twin scroll on your turbo seeing as you are changing everything anyway. Faster spool!
Twin scroll sounds like a good idea, after doing research on this route it seemed like I would need a few more things like a new sump / dipstick...
You are right though, if I am changing the headers and turbo, may as well change to a twin scroll. I know about the faster spool up, but are there any disadvantages of a twin scroll over single???

Also would there be any chance I could come and have a look at your setup? Maybe take me out for a quick squirt in your car? I know toy have a 2.5ltr and it is not exactly the same, but it will give me an idea on spool up rpm etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlib View Post
im going to be running a GT3082 with 82 rear housing on a built 2lt. will let you know how it turns out but could be a wile.
Sounds good. I'm hoping to get mine at the end of November / early December, so might have mine done before you?

Cheers guys.

Simon
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

V5 2.2L at standard level

hey mate sorry to hijack your thread but i would really like to see what these GT3071R's can produce on stock mount. from ATP right?? say compared to a TD06 20G.

some one please do it

326hp & 433nm.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Ok Simon... Im confused...

You going for a ride in an 06, with a built 2.5... isnt going to prove squat. You asked for someone with a 3076 on a 2.0L, of which I can only think of maybe one...? Who hasnt replied. Joe [BALISTC] runs a FP TD06-20G on a 2.0L Sti engine, (with headwork and cams). Check his driveway thread, page one, to see how that fairs.

(Before mine went kaboom), I have a Blouch TD06-20G strapped to a stock ADM EJ207, no headwork, no cams, etc. Results here: (complete with leaking FMIC joiner... thanks Matt! )

When I get mobile again in the coming weeks, car will be sporting a new 207 block, with either refreshed heads, or cash flow pending, headwork and cams. Should see something similiar to Joe results. Is the car good to drive? Absolutely. The few weeks I enjoyed 'niggle free' before things went pear-shaped, the car was great time drive, made some brilliant noises, and went like stink. Would I recommend it? Yes. Im of the 'sacrifice a little mid range for the whack of speed from 3rd onwards' school of thought.

The 370h/460n is a fair ask. Not impossible of course, I mean, everything is if you throw enough money at it, but will the TD06 do it? Probably not? (Noting theyre 'roughly' a GT28 equiv). The 3071? Yes... with the right mods.

Noting your budget, I would recommend FMIC core, flipped upright/reverse manifold/short piping etc. The chop tops will be fine. Surge tank only for M/S purposes. The list goes on. Have a good search, on here and sexnet. You should get a fair insight into what works/doesnt... etc.

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Subaru Tech Division

joey89 at standard level
Send a message via MSN to joey89

ill be going 3071 or 76 with tmic on a 2.2 very soon will let ya know results
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5 2.2L View Post
hey mate sorry to hijack your thread but i would really like to see what these GT3071R's can produce on stock mount. from ATP right?? say compared to a TD06 20G.

some one please do it
No drams in the hijack, its good to gain knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
Ok Simon... Im confused...

You going for a ride in an 06, with a built 2.5... isnt going to prove squat. You asked for someone with a 3076 on a 2.0L, of which I can only think of maybe one...? Who hasnt replied. Joe [BALISTC] Check his driveway thread, page one, to see how that fairs.

(Before mine went kaboom), I have a Blouch TD06-20G strapped to a stock ADM EJ207, no headwork, no cams, etc. Results here: (complete with leaking FMIC joiner... thanks Matt! )

When I get mobile again in the coming weeks, car will be sporting a new 207 block, with either refreshed heads, or cash flow pending, headwork and cams. Should see something similiar to Joe results. Is the car good to drive? Absolutely. The few weeks I enjoyed 'niggle free' before things went pear-shaped, the car was great time drive, made some brilliant noises, and went like stink. Would I recommend it? Yes. Im of the 'sacrifice a little mid range for the whack of speed from 3rd onwards' school of thought.

The 370h/460n is a fair ask. Not impossible of course, I mean, everything is if you throw enough money at it, but will the TD06 do it? Probably not? (Noting theyre 'roughly' a GT28 equiv). The 3071? Yes... with the right mods.

Noting your budget, I would recommend FMIC core, flipped upright/reverse manifold/short piping etc. The chop tops will be fine. Surge tank only for M/S purposes. The list goes on. Have a good search, on here and sexnet. You should get a fair insight into what works/doesnt... etc.

Brent.
Thanks for your input Brent,

I know the differences between a 2.0 with an xxxx turbo will be different to an 2.5 with an xxxx turbo, but just really wanted to feel the differences in lag. My VF35 is all low mid with no top. Just to feel the extra Torque / Power kick in later and harder was the only thing I wanted to experience

I guess 15k is a fair wad of cash that I have saved, to invest in a nice ride that will keep me occupied and content for hopefully, sometime. I want to do this right the first time and do enough research to ensure that I do.

Once again, cheers for your input. Cant wait to see what I get at Kwinana as my car stands now, compared to after the work I choose (people help) to do.

My best so far in a SS ute with a tune, exhaust and 3:9 diff gears, putting out 300hp atw (cant remember the Tq) was an 12.6 @ 109mph. I want to beat this. Even though I know the STI is a different car and not a drag car, but saying that neither is a SS ute I want mid 11s when finished.

Simon

Last edited by RoughStilin; 05-09-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

As mentioned by Brent, mine made 352 on 1.6 bar.. TD06, EJ207, STi heads which have had headwork done, billet cams (MMS spec ones, made by Wade Cams.. they're fairly aggressive duration at 278 degrees but the lift is about equivalent to a JUN 264. Very driveable!).

The heads and cams do it.

Josh has a bolt on low mount GT30 on his 05 STi as far as I know, might be worth asking him how it goes.

I'm actually going back to a TMIC because I want more response.. my aim is 340 and full boost in the 3k RPM range.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

P.S. the only GT3071R to run is a twin scroll with Full Race twin scroll headers

Tags
gt3071r, running