Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Tacho lag? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/37801-tacho-lag.html)

Chum 17-10-2010 02:26 PM

Tacho lag?

Hi, I had a few runs today at the RAC skidpan and at the end I noticed my tacho was frozen at 3000rpm, then it would jump instantly to 4000 or 2000 in a flash. The engine felt normal to drive and the boost gauge was normal. Not sure if its an electrical thing or some sought of leak. I'm going to get it serviced this week anyway but I was wondering if it could be serious or minor so I know how I should drive for the next few days.

Cheers

daveygravey 17-10-2010 04:42 PM

might need a new battery mate, ring subaru.

Chum 17-10-2010 06:38 PM

Is that sarcasm? I literally just got a new battery less than 2 months ago.

GX-REX 17-10-2010 09:32 PM

GC8?
Had pretty much same prob with my GC3. I put in a spare tacho and it has been sweet ever since.

Chum 17-10-2010 09:55 PM

Yea gc8, its also an aftermarket cluster so I'm not sure if thats part of it but I don't understand why it suddenly happened after giving the car a bit on the skidpan. As long as I dont have to worry about it until the service I'm happy.

Subafury 18-10-2010 10:52 AM

my speedo jumps a little bit if its any help. not worried about it tho as its only a slight jump. itd be something electrical as they are not cable driven.

mattmy99 18-10-2010 11:03 AM

Dry joint/loose connection.
Not a cactus battery.
Put up with it if you like, go to JWS and get a new cluster if you want a replacement.

Philbo 18-10-2010 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=Chum;502125]Yea gc8, its also an aftermarket cluster so I'm not sure if thats part of it but I don't understand why it suddenly happened after giving the car a bit on the skidpan. As long as I dont have to worry about it until the service I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

Its not so much an aftermarket cluster, Its only a EL lit dash using original backing electrics. Could always swap it out for a STi cluster ?

Chum 19-10-2010 11:26 PM

Guess what it turns out to be :) Apparantly its a common problem with the old link g3s with some error and the ECU has to be sent east and it takes roughly 4 weeks :( So either that or upgrade to the new link g4 for $3k inlcuding tune. For those who know the car would probably say get the new ecu because it really should have had a good one all along. FUUUUUUUUUUU

PROTOTYPE 20-10-2010 01:13 AM

If you're going to spend $3k on an ECU i'd be looking at spending the extra dosh to go MoTeC or by a Vipec... both will perform better than the Link and from what I've been seeing the Vipec's are cheaper and have more tuneable options and come as Plug n Play for most cars.

Not sure who else is doing them but I know Nic and Sean at ASG have done heaps of them and have had great results!