Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Sputtering (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/40447-sputtering.html)

riceman1991 23-02-2011 11:02 PM

Sputtering

I purchased a 2nd hand walbro pump, which was stupid and i should have just got a new one. Anyway when i am in a higher gear, 4th 5th or 6th on the freeway and put my foot down to overtake it seems to sputter, similar feeling to bunny hopping with a shitty take off. Other than that 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear when i put my foot down seems fine. I first thought it was clutch slip but have definitely ruled it out and seems to be the fuel pump??

any opinions? should i replace it?

riceman1991 23-03-2011 11:55 AM

If there is anyone else having similar problems. I took it to all star garage, and they told me it was a faulty air flow meter.

Jezza 23-03-2011 12:02 PM

Good to see your problem got fixed. Had z similar prob with my car, turned out to be faulty afm and injectors

Kato 23-03-2011 12:17 PM

Find a friend, swap over AFM's see if problem goes away.

If it doesn't you know it's not that.

Also and CEL codes coming up?

Edit: Are you tuned? Any other mods put on untuned?

riceman1991 23-03-2011 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;547830]Find a friend, swap over AFM's see if problem goes away.

If it doesn't you know it's not that.

Also and CEL codes coming up?

Edit: Are you tuned? Any other mods put on untuned?[/QUOTE]

NO codes where coming up at all, I have a verso tune, hence why i took it back to all star, they tried a new afm and it drove fine. Problem fixed :)

Kato 23-03-2011 12:47 PM

Good stuff!

riceman1991 27-03-2011 09:03 PM

okay guys, after having problems with my car sputtering, I acquired another AFM (2nd hand) the car was running fine for about a week or two. And then a couple of days ago it started playing up again. I then took out my K&N filter and gave it a wash in warm soapy water ( a fair amount of dirt came out ) and also sprayed electrical circuit cleaner on my AFM, and put it back together. The car then started driving fine again. Today while out on the cruise I noticed the car had started sputtering again.

I am thinking either:

1. Another dodgy AFM
2. A dodgy K&N Pod filter
3. An air leak somewhere along the line

What do you guys think??

Also I realize that if I ditch the CAI it could fix the problem, but i really like the noise it makes :)

If i did ditch it do you think it would still not drive correctly as it has been tuned with the CAI on?

Pretty keen on getting this sorted out asap as i think it is making my car run quite rich as it has been backfiring a fair bit and using heaps of fuel.

Any info would help greatly.

Cheers

apg39 27-03-2011 09:10 PM

Oiled K&N filters kill AFM's. The oil gets over the element & gives false readings so best find a dry filter, can still keep the CAI.

riceman1991 27-03-2011 09:19 PM

Would the oil not have come off the pod when i washed it? I have no re-oiled it.

Also what would be a good pod to replace the K&N with?

Jordiee 27-03-2011 09:25 PM

apexi dry pod filter^^