Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   New Heavy Duty Clutch (Advice) (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/41873-new-heavy-duty-clutch-advice.html)

Mister Two 29-04-2011 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;561033]Do you have any info as to why these are better? I have heard bad stuff about the exedy clutch's. Noisy and stuff.[/QUOTE]

It uses a denser organic compound for the clutch surface. More durable under aggressive driving.

Has 6 small stiffer springs in the sprung center instead of 4 softer springs - Reduced drive train slop

Pressure plate clamp uses thicker metal in the fingers. 2500lb of clamp. Higher torque handling.

Ive got one of these clutches in my car. And although I do get a bit of gear noise because of the light weight flywheel, the clutch itself works silently.
I should note that because of the stiffer sprung center and high clamp, the clutch has less slip during soft launches during daily driving. It takes a little getting used to. But it is far off the ON/OFF kind of feeling you get with a ceramic clutch.

dtrally 29-04-2011 11:34 PM

I fitted the clutch to ^^ Mister Two's car and another customer shortly afterwards who purchased the same E-Bay (USA) HD kit. I found it to be quite harsh, grabby and overly heavy.
The second one was particularly bad, in fact had the customer not supplied it himself I would have removed it as faulty. He stalled the car about 6 times. The shudder has subsided but it's still very heavy. I wouldn't recomend it for normal use unless you want a left leg like Arnie.

Any HD clutch plate will transmit more gear noise, that's a fact of life.
Another consideration is that a HD clutch does not necessarily mean longer lasting, it simply means it'll hang onto more power. If you are not exceeding the rating of a normal clutch, then don't waste effort pushing a heavy diaphragm down thousands of times in it's lifetime.

Mister Two 29-04-2011 11:39 PM

Doug.... HTFU. :P

I love the clutch. And your other customer is quite pleased too. It just took a week or so of bedding in. Its not as bitey as it was when it first went in. And the extra pedal effort doesn't take long to get used to.

If anyone is considering buying that clutch you are welcome to PM me to test drive it on my car to see if you like it.

dtrally 30-04-2011 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;561127]Doug.... HTFU. :P

I love the clutch. And your other customer is quite pleased too. It just took a week or so of bedding in. Its not as bitey as it was when it first went in. And the extra pedal effort doesn't take long to get used to.

If anyone is considering buying that clutch you are welcome to PM me to test drive it on my car to see if you like it.[/QUOTE]

Haha, he lives with it because he knows no better...:p

The best clutch I ever used was a Jim Berry 'Race Clutch'. A no bullshit, hard as f**k solid centre brass puck with loads of clamp yet it's so nice to use that even my wife can drive the car up onto a car trailer without shuddering, or stalling. It's in my old Legacy rally car and has been there since I first built it up for rallying ten years ago. Cost over a grand back then, so they're not cheap. (in fact they're not fancy either, plain black painted cover, came packed in a beer carton etc) Jim also sorted the clutch for Tino's car.
If you need a clutch for a special purpose then it's worth talking to Jim. Otherwise for normal WRXing, the odd Whoop-Ass or track day then you can't go wrong with an organic type from Excedy or Autoclutch.

Philbo 30-04-2011 07:52 AM

Dougie the car your both talking about is very very driveable now :) just so that u know.

DBLDOSE 30-04-2011 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;561130]Haha, he lives with it because he knows no better...:p

The best clutch I ever used was a Jim Berry 'Race Clutch'. A no bullshit, hard as f**k solid centre brass puck with loads of clamp yet it's so nice to use that even my wife can drive the car up onto a car trailer without shuddering, or stalling. It's in my old Legacy rally car and has been there since I first built it up for rallying ten years ago. Cost over a grand back then, so they're not cheap. (in fact they're not fancy either, plain black painted cover, came packed in a beer carton etc) Jim also sorted the clutch for Tino's car.
If you need a clutch for a special purpose then it's worth talking to Jim. Otherwise for normal WRXing, the odd Whoop-Ass or track day then you can't go wrong with an organic type from Excedy or Autoclutch.[/QUOTE]

Jim is the go to man for a serious clutch. His "full monty" clutch package will set you back a bit over $1000, but they are bulletproof. Same package is used in a VL over east that runs 10s, think its a matouks car.

Doms1 02-05-2011 11:17 AM

All booked in for this Wed at Stechnic in Maddington!! Cheers Peeps!!

ImPreSiV 02-05-2011 11:32 AM

smart move Dom...

Doms1 02-05-2011 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;561809]smart move Dom...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kym, thought I'd add my support to Stechnics :cool:

dtrally 02-05-2011 07:04 PM

Cheers Dom, I'll treat your pride and joy as if it were my very own........
[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/dougmarilyn/S%20Technic%20Rally%20Team/WRXatAHGRexpo.jpg[/IMG]

Joking of course, thanks for coming all the way from Joondalup!