Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   New Heavy Duty Clutch (Advice) (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/41873-new-heavy-duty-clutch-advice.html)

Doms1 28-04-2011 03:34 PM

New Heavy Duty Clutch (Advice)

Hi Peeps,

Well just been down to see the mechanics and the verdict is unfortunately my clutch is on its way out :(. Anyone got some good advice on where to get another Heavy Duty Clutch for my MY02 STI ?

If you have any contacts with a good price, that would be very appreciated!

Thanks P-Diddy's in advance!!

Dom

tiddy 28-04-2011 03:37 PM

Tilton twin plate :)
Mines a little bitey :)

Doms1 28-04-2011 04:04 PM

I was told to stay away from the twin plates? Is there a reason why?

Just got a quote from S-Technic in Maddington $1200 fitted with fly wheel machined and rear seal replaced? Sounds Like a good deal?

Mister Two 28-04-2011 04:12 PM

If you want to buy the clutch yourself. Go to Ebay USA. Prices over there make local retailers look like total rip offs.

I got the top spec Exedy Sports Organic HD clutch for $670 landed around a year ago when the AUD$ wasnt even as strong as it is now. Better than the locally sold Exedy "Sports Tuff" gear.

Part number for 6 speed is :15803 or 15803HD if you want a little extra clamp.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-RACING-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-KIT-04-10-SUBARU-WRX-STI-/400141436436?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a49c614]EXEDY RACING STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT 04-10 SUBARU WRX STI | eBay[/url]

Doms1 28-04-2011 04:25 PM

Thanks Mister Two, just one thing the clutch is for an 02 STI the clutches in the link are for a 04 and above, will they still fit?

grumpyrex 28-04-2011 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=Doms1;560672]
Just got a quote from S-Technic in Maddington $1200 fitted with fly wheel machined and rear seal replaced? Sounds Like a good deal?[/QUOTE]
Go with this. Plenty of people on these forums (including me) running these clutches.

Mister Two 28-04-2011 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=Doms1;560681]Thanks Mister Two, just one thing the clutch is for an 02 STI the clutches in the link are for a 04 and above, will they still fit?[/QUOTE]

Yes it will fit. The reason it says 2004 onwards is because the USA never got an STI model until 2004. ALL Sti 6 speeds take the same clutch.

Bigboosst 28-04-2011 05:26 PM

Either that or go S-technic. Awesome work from the guys there =D

Voot 28-04-2011 06:59 PM

[QUOTE=grumpyrex;560682]Go with this. Plenty of people on these forums (including me) running these clutches.[/QUOTE]

(Including me) and the service from stechnic is impeccable

spoonhead 29-04-2011 09:01 AM

I bought a heavy duty on eBay last week for $535 to my door its from a brand called competition clutch USA it's suggested for street drag and track so have a look out for one of those. I'm getting it fitted next week

Strubaru 29-04-2011 09:07 AM

go sprung centre brass button for the 6 speed :cool:

twin plate = noisey and annoying

Saint_23 29-04-2011 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Doms1;560672]Just got a quote from S-Technic in Maddington $1200 fitted with fly wheel machined and rear seal replaced? Sounds Like a good deal?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=grumpyrex;560682]Go with this. Plenty of people on these forums (including me) running these clutches.[/QUOTE]

Including me. Go with STechnic Dom.

Philbo 29-04-2011 09:20 AM

Support those who support us Dom, go with Dougie ! I will personally be going a button after a motor rebuild as mine was starting to slip when the motor was running.

Strubaru 29-04-2011 11:14 AM

yeah get doug to fit if your not diy inclined :cool:

gotta make the most of the 6 speed though... why would you go full face organic?

RUSSGT 29-04-2011 11:47 AM

Full face organic would be much more OEM style clutch than a button!

Strubaru 29-04-2011 12:11 PM

he said he wanted a more heavy duty than stock in OP

DBLDOSE 29-04-2011 12:41 PM

Anyone running a Jim Berry clutch in a wrx? Had one in my VL, was a great clutch, and have only heard good things about them, may be worth a look into.

Doms1 29-04-2011 02:19 PM

Thanks Guys, Got the same quote from Maximum in Malaga as Stechnic in Maddington. Malaga is much closer to home for me but has anyone heard anything bad about Maximum? Heavu Duty $1200 Fitted and Machined Fly wheel sounds like a good deal! Saw a couple of HD Clutchs on Ebay for around the $500 - 600 mark sounded cheap but did some research and its going to cost me about 5-600 to get someone to fit it! Might as well get a warranty with it I think.... I'll await some feedback on maximum before deciding!!

Cheers Peeps

Kato 29-04-2011 02:26 PM

Feedback on MMS? You don't need it. Very well known and respected shop.

If you do, look for Dean Herridge's Targa warrior or search about Ramon's WRXRW or the build of jme's S204 etc etc etc.

RUSSGT 29-04-2011 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;560677]If you want to buy the clutch yourself. Go to Ebay USA. Prices over there make local retailers look like total rip offs.

[B]I got the top spec Exedy Sports Organic HD clutch for $670 landed around a year ago when the AUD$ wasnt even as strong as it is now. Better than the locally sold Exedy "Sports Tuff" gear.[/B]Part number for 6 speed is :15803 or 15803HD if you want a little extra clamp.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-RACING-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-KIT-04-10-SUBARU-WRX-STI-/400141436436?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2a49c614]EXEDY RACING STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT 04-10 SUBARU WRX STI | eBay[/url][/QUOTE]

Do you have any info as to why these are better? I have heard bad stuff about the exedy clutch's. Noisy and stuff.

Mister Two 29-04-2011 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;561033]Do you have any info as to why these are better? I have heard bad stuff about the exedy clutch's. Noisy and stuff.[/QUOTE]

It uses a denser organic compound for the clutch surface. More durable under aggressive driving.

Has 6 small stiffer springs in the sprung center instead of 4 softer springs - Reduced drive train slop

Pressure plate clamp uses thicker metal in the fingers. 2500lb of clamp. Higher torque handling.

Ive got one of these clutches in my car. And although I do get a bit of gear noise because of the light weight flywheel, the clutch itself works silently.
I should note that because of the stiffer sprung center and high clamp, the clutch has less slip during soft launches during daily driving. It takes a little getting used to. But it is far off the ON/OFF kind of feeling you get with a ceramic clutch.

dtrally 29-04-2011 11:34 PM

I fitted the clutch to ^^ Mister Two's car and another customer shortly afterwards who purchased the same E-Bay (USA) HD kit. I found it to be quite harsh, grabby and overly heavy.
The second one was particularly bad, in fact had the customer not supplied it himself I would have removed it as faulty. He stalled the car about 6 times. The shudder has subsided but it's still very heavy. I wouldn't recomend it for normal use unless you want a left leg like Arnie.

Any HD clutch plate will transmit more gear noise, that's a fact of life.
Another consideration is that a HD clutch does not necessarily mean longer lasting, it simply means it'll hang onto more power. If you are not exceeding the rating of a normal clutch, then don't waste effort pushing a heavy diaphragm down thousands of times in it's lifetime.

Mister Two 29-04-2011 11:39 PM

Doug.... HTFU. :P

I love the clutch. And your other customer is quite pleased too. It just took a week or so of bedding in. Its not as bitey as it was when it first went in. And the extra pedal effort doesn't take long to get used to.

If anyone is considering buying that clutch you are welcome to PM me to test drive it on my car to see if you like it.

dtrally 30-04-2011 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;561127]Doug.... HTFU. :P

I love the clutch. And your other customer is quite pleased too. It just took a week or so of bedding in. Its not as bitey as it was when it first went in. And the extra pedal effort doesn't take long to get used to.

If anyone is considering buying that clutch you are welcome to PM me to test drive it on my car to see if you like it.[/QUOTE]

Haha, he lives with it because he knows no better...:p

The best clutch I ever used was a Jim Berry 'Race Clutch'. A no bullshit, hard as f**k solid centre brass puck with loads of clamp yet it's so nice to use that even my wife can drive the car up onto a car trailer without shuddering, or stalling. It's in my old Legacy rally car and has been there since I first built it up for rallying ten years ago. Cost over a grand back then, so they're not cheap. (in fact they're not fancy either, plain black painted cover, came packed in a beer carton etc) Jim also sorted the clutch for Tino's car.
If you need a clutch for a special purpose then it's worth talking to Jim. Otherwise for normal WRXing, the odd Whoop-Ass or track day then you can't go wrong with an organic type from Excedy or Autoclutch.

Philbo 30-04-2011 07:52 AM

Dougie the car your both talking about is very very driveable now :) just so that u know.

DBLDOSE 30-04-2011 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;561130]Haha, he lives with it because he knows no better...:p

The best clutch I ever used was a Jim Berry 'Race Clutch'. A no bullshit, hard as f**k solid centre brass puck with loads of clamp yet it's so nice to use that even my wife can drive the car up onto a car trailer without shuddering, or stalling. It's in my old Legacy rally car and has been there since I first built it up for rallying ten years ago. Cost over a grand back then, so they're not cheap. (in fact they're not fancy either, plain black painted cover, came packed in a beer carton etc) Jim also sorted the clutch for Tino's car.
If you need a clutch for a special purpose then it's worth talking to Jim. Otherwise for normal WRXing, the odd Whoop-Ass or track day then you can't go wrong with an organic type from Excedy or Autoclutch.[/QUOTE]

Jim is the go to man for a serious clutch. His "full monty" clutch package will set you back a bit over $1000, but they are bulletproof. Same package is used in a VL over east that runs 10s, think its a matouks car.

Doms1 02-05-2011 11:17 AM

All booked in for this Wed at Stechnic in Maddington!! Cheers Peeps!!

ImPreSiV 02-05-2011 11:32 AM

smart move Dom...

Doms1 02-05-2011 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;561809]smart move Dom...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kym, thought I'd add my support to Stechnics :cool:

dtrally 02-05-2011 07:04 PM

Cheers Dom, I'll treat your pride and joy as if it were my very own........
[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/dougmarilyn/S%20Technic%20Rally%20Team/WRXatAHGRexpo.jpg[/IMG]

Joking of course, thanks for coming all the way from Joondalup!

Rexxar 03-05-2011 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;561945]Cheers Dom, I'll treat your pride and joy as if it were my very own........
[IMG [url]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k285/dougmarilyn/S%20Technic%20Rally%20Team/WRXatAHGRexpo.jpg[/url] /IMG]

Joking of course, thanks for coming all the way from Joondalup![/QUOTE]

need to do the same to mine pretty soon but with a lighten flywheel, what do you recommend?

DJDINO 03-05-2011 07:47 AM

I'm about to fit a NPC (Nicks Performance Clutches) heavy duty 5 puck clutch, drove a EVO 7 with 470hp atw stroker that has had one fitted for 12 months of motorsport and it felt OEM in pedal weight ? Believe similar to Jim Berry's. I paid about $750 for clutch kit.

Doms1 04-05-2011 08:43 PM

Big Thanks to Doug & Dave at Stechnics for supplying and fitting my new HD Clutch. Took about 1 hr to get home but by that time I was getting quite use to the new friction point and added power that obviously was slipping from the old clutch!! Thanks again boys and I'll organise the car to come back and get the wheel bearings done soon ok!! Highy recommend you guys to anyone with a wrexxy, Liberty or STI.. Well worth the drive across town for good workmanship!! ;)

226CS9 20-05-2011 09:50 AM

Hi guys, Just a quick question also in regards to this I have a 5sp 06 WRX that also ahs a clutch going out, and will eventually be upgrading to a 6spd DCCD STI Box when the funds permit, though is there a clutch and flywheel that I can get that is fine now for the 5spd that can also still be later used for the 6spd???

Thanks in Advance

Mister Two 20-05-2011 09:54 AM

Short Answer: NO.
The 06 WRX 5 speed uses a push clutch and the 6 speed will use a pull clutch.

226CS9 20-05-2011 10:03 AM

Bummer, that sucks.... Does anyone know where I can get (for the mean time) a cheap Heavy duty clutch for the 5 spd then.

Mister Two 20-05-2011 10:15 AM

Ebay USA. Cheapest place to buy a clutch kit. Save your money and just get an OEM replacement. No HD stuff for the 5 speed. It'll be better for your wallet and easier on the 5 speed.

226CS9 20-05-2011 10:53 AM

Thanks Mate, will do

226CS9 20-05-2011 12:06 PM

Clutch

[QUOTE=Mister Two;561127]Doug.... HTFU. :P

If anyone is considering buying that clutch you are welcome to PM me to test drive it on my car to see if you like it.[/QUOTE]

Mister Two---Just found that my Clutch has Shat itself...can drive around though need one asap. I am unable to get ebay on the work comps though did you have a link for one for my 5sp 06 WRX....and you said you managed to get it for 670 delivered....thats incredible. Any further information would be awesome, as I need to organise it asap as the car needs to be back on the road in 2 weeks as going to Bris....

Cheers

226CS9 20-05-2011 12:07 PM

or in regards to the OEM one.....where can I get one? Surbaru directly is a complete Rip Off