Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

tocchi at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru View Post
do a google search regarding the restrictor pills, this will affect boost levels on tt engines, like john said if the system has new hoses chances are the restrictor pills have been turfed with the old vac lines
Okay mate : ) cheers.
But the lines were changed in like years ago, and the boost has only stopped working suddenly....
I have not had the car for very long and I have not done any modifications. All the modifications were done well, and through XSpeed I believe, as I have been told it's Hanson's old car.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Stiguy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchi View Post
Okay mate : ) cheers.
But the lines were changed in like years ago, and the boost has only stopped working suddenly....
I have not had the car for very long and I have not done any modifications. All the modifications were done well, and through XSpeed I believe, as I have been told it's Hanson's old car.
I Had this problem once also:

Check the VACUUM ACCUMULATOR in the LH front guard. It is a plastic pot that stores vacuum prior to the boost control sollinoids and waste gate actuators. If the pot or hoses are leaking none of them will work properly.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM

tocchi at standard level

cheers for that Stiguy : )
will check that out first thing tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Stiguy at standard level

System sort of works like this:
1. waste gate shut= turbo 1 spools
2. "differential control valve" Mounted on fire wall i think, measures boost pressure and controls flow second boost solenoid which operates waste gate actuator on turbo 2.

The problem.
When the engine has a vacuum leak there is not enough pressure to operate the boost solenoids and hence the waste gates. So check all lines to and from the Accumulator. You will see a metal/alloy tube running across in front of the radiator and then to the solenoid box.

tests - you can suck the waste gates vacuum lines to ensure they are operating. Then make sure you have vacuum at the in line to the boost solenoids.(can fit t piece and gauge in-line if you need to.

hope this helps. remember its a simple closed system. positive and negative vacuum channeled in different directions through solenoids (taps) to open or shut the waste gates.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiguy View Post
System sort of works like this:
1. waste gate shut= turbo 1 spools
2. "differential control valve" Mounted on fire wall i think, measures boost pressure and controls flow second boost solenoid which operates waste gate actuator on turbo 2.

The problem.
When the engine has a vacuum leak there is not enough pressure to operate the boost solenoids and hence the waste gates. So check all lines to and from the Accumulator. You will see a metal/alloy tube running across in front of the radiator and then to the solenoid box.

tests - you can suck the waste gates vacuum lines to ensure they are operating. Then make sure you have vacuum at the in line to the boost solenoids.(can fit t piece and gauge in-line if you need to.

hope this helps. remember its a simple closed system. positive and negative vacuum channeled in different directions through solenoids (taps) to open or shut the waste gates.
Not right I'm afraid mate, there is only one wastegate and its on the primary turbo, the system builds pressure in three stages and the control system uses a valve in the secondary pipe to the intercooler, a valve in the exhaust to the secondary turbo and a bypass valve in the secondary pipe from the turbo to allow pressure to build gradually.

It is complicated, but its not at the same time, if you have the equipment to test it properly.
I'm not trying to be a know all, but you're giving him false info
Boost pressure is ultimately controlled by the primary turbo wastegate.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM

tocchi at standard level

cheers for the input guys, correct or incorrect I appreciate the gesture : )
I am pretty terrible with turbo's as I can't say I have ever worked on a turbo car before, I know very little. I think it will be best if I get a mechanic to have a look, John would you be interested?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Need to ring up and book it in, we can work out whats wrong with it. What year is your car? Might have to borrow an adapter cable so we can use our newer scan tool
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Stiguy at standard level

Yes i understand its a little more complicate than i have outlined. But all i can tell you is it was vacuum leak between the accumulator and boost control solenoids on my car.

Mine was in the hose coming off the accumulator but i know of others where the alloy pipe across the top rad support rubs through and gets pin holes in it.

The boost pressure may be controlled by primary waste gate but as i understand it the waste gate needs to see the right initial pressure to operate the waste gate actuator? Anyway, don't mean to misdirect.....just reporting on how we fixed mine.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM

tocchi at standard level

okay mate : ) if it is only a minor thing do you think you could give me a approximate price?

it's a 94 Legacy GTB (Gen II)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiguy View Post
Yes i understand its a little more complicate than i have outlined. But all i can tell you is it was vacuum leak between the accumulator and boost control solenoids on my car.

Mine was in the hose coming off the accumulator but i know of others where the alloy pipe across the top rad support rubs through and gets pin holes in it.

The boost pressure may be controlled by primary waste gate but as i understand it the waste gate needs to see the right initial pressure to operate the waste gate actuator? Anyway, don't mean to misdirect.....just reporting on how we fixed mine.
Yes you are right a wastegate needs positive pressure to work, like i said dude, I wasn't trying to flame you or anything, just correcting some incorrect info.
You never know that might be the problem with this one
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i

Tags
boosting, ej20tt, primary, turbo