Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   MY99 Air Filter (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/43775-my99-air-filter.html)

red dragon2002 03-08-2011 08:49 AM

^ yes chris that was a suggestion, however i have been running the apexi pod from day dot, no problems ever. Also have tbe, larger tmic blah blah no tune as of yet.

Neil-e-o 03-08-2011 02:50 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread ...Ive just removed my AFM and Apexi Air Filter and just bolted a 3A Racing Air Filter straight onto my COld AIr Intake ....and it seems my car is running somewhat smoother ...idling better....

Is this wise to do so?

red dragon2002 03-08-2011 03:08 PM

^ i duno if it is a good i idea but anything to get rid of that shitty afm! you might have problems with fuel or backfiring maybe?

i would also like to know the answer to your question

mao 03-08-2011 03:20 PM

U've just made history bro!

[QUOTE=Neil-e-o;593075]Sorry to hijack this thread ...Ive just removed my AFM and Apexi Air Filter and just bolted a 3A Racing Air Filter straight onto my COld AIr Intake ....and it seems my car is running somewhat smoother ...idling better....

Is this wise to do so?[/QUOTE]

Neil-e-o 03-08-2011 04:01 PM

actually...forgot to mention I run a Haltech Platinum series 1000 ecu which apparently makes the AFM redundant .... it was still connected to my Apexi Air Filter because my tuner left it on. I had to take it off caus the 3A Racing filter didnt come with an adapter ....

Since nothing seems to be wrong with the car I asked the question if it was wise to leave the AFM off (as I said before my tuner said the haltech doesnt require) untill I get an adapter and plug it back in ....

mao 03-08-2011 04:02 PM

K boss. Well, as long as the airflow was tuned good, wouldn't matter bro.

[QUOTE=Neil-e-o;593107]actually...forgot to mention I run a Haltech Platinum series 1000 ecu which apparently makes the AFM redundant .... it was still connected to my Apexi Air Filter because my tuner left it on. I had to take it off caus the 3A Racing filter didnt come with an adapter ....

Since nothing seems to be wrong with the car I asked the question if it was wise to leave the AFM off (as I said before my tuner said the haltech doesnt require) untill I get an adapter and plug it back in ....[/QUOTE]

Addy 03-08-2011 04:43 PM

red dragon (sorry don't know your actual name), you're probably right about it. i will be fitting a bigger TBE, and I have already fitted a Walbro (my stock pump died), but the fuel pump will not put any extra fuel in. that extra fuel will be returned to the tank.
I'm just not willing to risk it (it's one of those things 1in a 1000).
Depending on the bonus this year, might be Vipec time.

Adi

Kato 03-08-2011 06:33 PM

Remember gc8s are more tolerant to mods. So long as you keep the intake pipe the same, a panel or pod filter is fine. Over oiled filters kill afms so stay away from them.

Ecu just helps you maximize the mods on a gc8.

red dragon2002 04-08-2011 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=Addy;593137]red dragon (sorry don't know your actual name), you're probably right about it. i will be fitting a bigger TBE, and I have already fitted a Walbro (my stock pump died), but the fuel pump will not put any extra fuel in. that extra fuel will be returned to the tank.
I'm just not willing to risk it (it's one of those things 1in a 1000).
Depending on the bonus this year, might be Vipec time.

Adi[/QUOTE]

Adi, name is Yas. good choice on a vipec i know what i would want to spend my money on :) did you consider a power fc?

guys as mentioned earlier, i have usual mods tbe, ic, pod ect. if i add on a silicone intake and the short fat bit im sure and hope that it will still run fine without a tune still?

then i was going to bolt on maybe a vf35, drive it for a while and then tune it. obviosly im not going to boot it without tune still however would this be advisable or is it one of those you never know whats going to happen things?

also with those mods i did consider a V5/6 sti ecu, at least i would not have to tune it. this has been done before i heard as that it runs fine without needing a tune. i was just concerned about what the fuel would be like as obvously being a sti ecu

cheers guys

mattmy99 04-08-2011 09:45 AM

With all those bolt-ons you've listed, you "may" not run into any issues.
However, upgrading a turbo without a tune to suit is definitely asking for trouble.