Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Boost issues (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/53376-boost-issues.html)

joshwrx 10-02-2013 08:30 PM

Boost issues

Hey guys, so for the last couple of months now ive been having boost issues. first off i wouldnt hit above 7.5psi which is usually wastegate values, and replaced my pipes and my boost control solenoid. Now i manage to get 14psi but it flucuates as i hit boost. for example:

i might floor it and it goes up to 14psi, down to 7psi and back up constantly, as if the car isnt able to hold boost, but then regains it :(

now sometimes i only get 7psi and then it goes back to 15psi, so what i did was completely run the car without the boost control solenoid pipes connected, i just bypassed it and i managed to get the car running at atleast 15psi in every gear. what i want to know is if anyone has any ideas what it could be and what i can check?

by the sounds of it, it seems like the second hand boost control solenoid i bought is faulty as well? maybe time to upgrade to three port? or is my wastegate actuator on its way out? i have tightened the arm once around to see if that was the case and the actuator isnt holding the boost as well and no fix. do i tighten more? i still have the wastegate pill in the pipe and all connections are the right way around :)

car is a 2002 bugeye wrx, normal service and stuff. has a 3" catless exhaust from turbo but it has been happening way after i put the exhaust in. other than that, the car is basically stock

cheers fellow rexxxersss,
Josh

Jezza 10-02-2013 09:01 PM

Check [I]all [/I]of your boost lines and air hoses.
Look for splits in the lines & T pieces, and make sure your intercooler & BOV hoses are intact and sealed.
Any joins in the boost lines should be tight and cable tied on to be safe.

Tony 10-02-2013 09:20 PM

restrictor pill missing?

joshwrx 10-02-2013 10:27 PM

@jezza
ive checked all lines and all the pipes are new :s

@tony
the restrictor pill is there

ive checked the basics, just dont know what else to check

MY00GC8 10-02-2013 10:34 PM

I wouldn't be adjusting the waste gate arm at all,
Those lines are prone to going hard and brittle, have you made sure there is now tiny cracks in any of the lines?

joshwrx 10-02-2013 10:36 PM

all lines on the car have been checked and i gave up so replaced them all :P could it still possibly be that the new "second hand" bcs sticking or something?

MY00GC8 10-02-2013 10:45 PM

Possible, were the lines replaced with good second hand lines? Or just with generic lines?
Is the restrictive pill facing the correct way/in the correct position?

Jezza 10-02-2013 11:48 PM

Oh I see. My brother replaced the lines on his, and as a result, the restrictor pill was not held in place properly and did not work. Best to use genuine/used hose where the pill is, as it has proper fitment

joshwrx 11-02-2013 03:59 PM

They are all brand new hoses, but what i did was i kept the little black piece of hose that has the restrictor pill in it. i did a pressure test on the hose at a mates mechanic shop and the hose has no leaks. and the restrictor pill is still there, does it have to be in the same spot in the hose and turned around a specific way? i think its currently about half way down the hose, thanks for all the support so far :)

Tony 11-02-2013 04:28 PM

sounds like your BCS is faulty or you snapped your restrictor pill.