Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Automatic Power Window lifting Module (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/53782-automatic-power-window-lifting-module.html)

royaldevil_a 13-03-2013 02:00 PM

Automatic Power Window lifting Module

Hi,
Mine is a 2009 rex. Installed an automatic window lifting module which will close the windows as soon as i lock the car. It is a cool feature to add on.

When i checked the system, i found that if one of the windows is already closed also, still it will send power to that motor for the next 5-10 seconds so as to close it. But since the window is already closed, teh motor cant do anything. So what i want to know is if that can burn the motor?? Any replies and previous experiences will be really appreciated.

I already checked with 3 dealers and they were not able to help me to give me a proper ans. Also checked with Subaru Australia and they havent tried it before and dont have any previous enquires or complaints in their database.

So guys, if u know something abt this, please reply

Cheers
Don

MY00GC8 13-03-2013 02:14 PM

eventually , yes it could burn the motor out

Tony 13-03-2013 02:45 PM

Simple fix. Wire up a switch that is in the normally closed position till the window closes. Run the wire for the motor through this switch. Then if the window is up the motor wont be able to turn on as it wont get any power.

royaldevil_a 13-03-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks Tony,, But just wondering, what do u mean by the switch.. is that something which i can buy from outside.. if so, from where??

Thanks

Tony 13-03-2013 03:26 PM

This isnt something i have actually done before. You will hve to plan and fabricate a way of mounting a switch inside ypur door. I was just giving a general example of how to fix the problem.

mao 13-03-2013 03:57 PM

Motor is protected at the top end.

It is the same as holding the power window switch on the upward position for 5-10secs.

Will not burn motor.

Cheers,
Mao

[QUOTE=royaldevil_a;742591]Hi,
Mine is a 2009 rex. Installed an automatic window lifting module which will close the windows as soon as i lock the car. It is a cool feature to add on.

When i checked the system, i found that if one of the windows is already closed also, still it will send power to that motor for the next 5-10 seconds so as to close it. But since the window is already closed, teh motor cant do anything. So what i want to know is if that can burn the motor?? Any replies and previous experiences will be really appreciated.

I already checked with 3 dealers and they were not able to help me to give me a proper ans. Also checked with Subaru Australia and they havent tried it before and dont have any previous enquires or complaints in their database.

So guys, if u know something abt this, please reply

Cheers
Don[/QUOTE]

Tony 13-03-2013 04:20 PM

Over time stalling the motor against itself will lead to premature failure. What do you mean by top end? are you talking about some sort of motor protection? Because that will work against stopping failure if you where to hold it down for to long, but not premature failure from it being over run every now and then. In a situation like this where it will be over run often i believe something needs to be done to better protect the motor.

mao 13-03-2013 05:34 PM

There are not enough amps from an alarm module to overload the damn motor.

[QUOTE=Tony;742616]Over time stalling the motor against itself will lead to premature failure. What do you mean by top end? are you talking about some sort of motor protection? Because that will work against stopping failure if you where to hold it down for to long, but not premature failure from it being over run every now and then. In a situation like this where it will be over run often i believe something needs to be done to better protect the motor.[/QUOTE]

royaldevil_a 13-03-2013 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=mao;742630]There are not enough amps from an alarm module to overload the damn motor.[/QUOTE]

When u said not enough amps.. just want to tell u that there is a 12V+ wire which goes to the module straight from the battery. Do u think that can supply enough amps to burn the motor?

Cheers

royaldevil_a 13-03-2013 10:52 PM

Also.. i checked the volts when the module winds up as well as when the window is closed. Found that when the module winds up, the voltage shown in the meter i had is approx 10.3V and again when if the window is already up and if i trigger the module, then the voltage is approx 8.5V. Do u think this can result in a motor burn?

[QUOTE=mao;742630]There are not enough amps from an alarm module to overload the damn motor.[/QUOTE]