Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Turbo Back Exhaust Tune (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/54978-turbo-back-exhaust-tune.html)

thehowlfactor 20-06-2013 02:34 PM

Turbo Back Exhaust Tune

Hi everyone, I know very little when it comes to cars so some information would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking about buying a turbo back exhaust (brand yet to be determined) for my MY06 WRX. From what I have read on the forums a tune is recommended after installing. My question is, what is exactly does this tune consist of? Is it one of the non standard tunes such as Ecutek or Verso or is just a normal tune that a Subaru dealer would do on a standard service. Also, is installing a turbo back exhaust a good idea when the car in completely stock? Should I start with something else or should I also install other components when I put the exhaust on? An idea of costs for these installs and tunes would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Phillip

REXXXED 20-06-2013 02:51 PM

[B][U]Not[/U][/B] a Subaru service.

Use the search button up top and look up Verso and Ecutek for prices and peoples experiences etc.
Dont expect any change from about $1200 for either for your first tune (re-tunes are cheaper later on).

My personal experience tell's me I will continue returning the ASG in Malaga for my future tuning. They will Verso tune your car.

[B]OR[/B] you can go aftermarket ECU such as VIPEC, MOTEC etc.
For a street car that barely/doesn' see the track, don't waste your money/don't let anyone talk you into wasting your money...

At the same time as the exhaust and tune, I would definitely upgrade the fuel pump and increase the boost slightly
To be honest whilst it's in the shop, possibly look at a turbo and intercooler upgrade as well to get a massive increase in performance.

If you you do the standard engine mods, definitely think about your suspension and brakes also. Thicker sway bars, upgraded brake rotors etc etc

TROLLEY 20-06-2013 02:59 PM

Subaru don't tune your car when you get a service. Do this:

1) search Verso on the forums, read
2) search Ecutek on the forum, read
3) make a decision based on the information presented to you (preferably, pick your tuner/workshop as opposed to the product)
4) enjoy a few extra horsepower and dakdak rumble

SyncSubaru 20-06-2013 03:24 PM

A tune is required for just a TBE, but you will be removing a restriction from the flow of exhaust from the engine, helping it to breathe better and changing the way it works, so it certainly is recommended. But as stated already, the best bang for buck is to collect up a standard set of entry level supporting mods such as the intake and fuel pump, and get it all tuned to work together in one hit so that later on you are prepared to upgrade the turbo or intercoolers with a minimal retune.

mattmy99 20-06-2013 03:33 PM

As stated above, a tune and a service are very different things.
A tune involves modifying the air, fuel, timing etc parameters of the car's ECU.

98kellrs 20-06-2013 04:16 PM

My understanding is that any mods which change either the amount or ratio of fuel or air going in or out will require a tune.

Definitely do a fuel pump upgrade as this is required for nearly all turbo or intercooler mods running big boost.

The more mods you can do the better as this will save on retune costs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Pedgierex 20-06-2013 05:03 PM

I have personally owned a 04 wrx with mrt xb kit(TBE, fuel pump and ecutek tune) pretty expensive think about 4g but I can not say one bad word about it car performed great and was improved fuel efficiency. as stated in this thread a tune you will need is all about adjusting air fuel mixtures and ignition timing also increasing boost for all your mods to work together, don't buy a cold air intake almost every tuner I have spoken to tells me they are worthless! good exhaust brands mrt, xforce, invidia

Tony 24-06-2013 03:37 PM

I put a ultrex tbe and walbro fuel pump on my 07 rex and went and got it tuned. The stick tune is fucking dreadful. My car now sits at 228whp and is so much smoother too drive. The drivability alone is worth a tune.

RichX 24-06-2013 08:36 PM

I ran a TBE and Up-pipe without a tune for a few weeks. I found that:

a) It ran very rich
b) Fairly large boost kick, then not much else after that. So definitely not an optimised tune for the engine.

A tune levelled/smoothed it all out. Cleans up the tune and gets your economy back. You don't need to do other mods with a TBE other than the tune imho. Unless you are doing a new turbo, injectors, intercooler etc all at the same time to save doing 2 tunes later.

thehowlfactor 24-06-2013 08:42 PM

Thanks to all who replied, it was very informative. I have also spoken to Neil at MMS who helped clear up a lot of my questions. An exhaust and tune are in my future plans but may have to wait for the funds.