Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mARC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Scoobie Noobie

ScoobyNoob at standard level
Default Window Alignment Problem

Ok..

98 Impreza RS.

After 3 attempts at this I'm officially calling on the more experienced guys here.

My passenger window is COMPLETELY out of whack. Nothing I have tried has had even the slightest effect.

What am I missing???

My mission so far...

This is the gap on the mirror/corner.. (about 1cm out)

This is the view from the outside.... (look down the sill)

And this is all the adjustment points I could find (according to the manuals)

Any clues are welcome..The only suspicion I have is that the window motor is not sitting how it should, but its all flush (yes theres a missing bolt in the pic, I have it.. it just wasnt in) :P

Thanks guys.

Last edited by ScoobyNoob; 14-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 14-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Nope.. its all good. No damage from thieves.

The guy i bought it off has obviously had a play with a few things here and there.. not always for the better.

Ive officially cracked the sh1ts for the day.. Ive put the window all the way up and locked it up.

Too hot for my guess work!
Old 14-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

What have you removed/replaced when fitting the window?

If you've replaced original undamaged parts from the original door you may need to check for damaged/bent items.

When fitting windows it is best practice to have all items that have adjustment in them loose 'read screwed in just enough as to not fall out', and the window fully extended up.

Once the window is fully extended and properly fitting in the seals check what is going on with the loose bolts i.e are some sitting higher/lower then others. This will enable you to see where the various parts of the regulator are sitting.

Focus on the areas that are not sitting flush as this will give you an indication which areas may be damaged/bent.

Are you sure the inner door panel is not bent in any way, and also check that bottom rail where the window slides into needs adjusted as this would most probably be what is throwing the window out.

It is extremely important that you never fully retract a window that you've not tested 'read doesn't freely move up and down', with the bolts tight, as this can lead to the window breaking, pieces bending to suit ill alignment.
ScoobyNoob likes this.

Last edited by mARC; 14-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 14-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
What have you removed/replaced when fitting the window?

If you've replaced original undamaged parts from the original door you may need to check for damaged/bent items.

When fitting windows it is best practice to have all items that have adjustment in them loose 'read screwed in just enough as to not fall out', and the window fully extended up.

Once the window is fully extended and properly fitting in the seals check what is going on with the loose bolts i.e are some sitting higher/lower then others. This will enable you to see where the various parts of the regulator are sitting.

Focus on the areas that are not sitting flush as this will give you an indication which areas may be damaged/bent.

Are you sure the inner door panel is not bent in any way, and also check that bottom rail where the window slides into needs adjusted as this would most probably be what is throwing the window out.

It is extremely important that you never fully retract a window that you've not tested 'read doesn't freely move up and down', with the bolts tight, as this can lead to the window breaking, pieces bending to suit ill alignment.
Cool Thanks mARC.. I was pretty much on the right track.

I am going to strip the entire thing I think and start putting everything back one piece at a time.

Would you recommend separating the window glass from the winder motor and get all that functioning smoothly.. then add the glass?

Last edited by ScoobyNoob; 14-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 14-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

I'm unsure why you're pulling out everything to begin with.

The system is designed so that you can remove and replace door glass without having to rip the innards of the door out unless you're replacing them/the door.

If you're happy that everything is where it should be it should just be a matter of checking for bent/misaligned parts 'which you will notice from doing what was stated in my previous post'.

Last edited by mARC; 14-12-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 14-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Sorry mARC... just to clarify.

1. I haven't replaced any damaged parts.
2. I unscrewed the motor as I thought it was faulty. (until i tested it directly from the battery)
3. With all the adjustment screws loose (circled above) the window still sits too far in and I am unable to move it the window (gently persuade it) at all. IE get it sitting back in the rubber when its fully raised.

This is why I was thinking of pulling the guts out and examining it more closely. EG seeing if anything is bent.

Cheers for the help so far.
Old 14-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Silicon spray.

Tags
alignment, impreza, power, problem, window