Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Turbo seals or tired motor (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/59476-turbo-seals-tired-motor.html)

Rslib72 02-10-2014 03:20 PM

Turbo seals or tired motor

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys my rs lib with a sti spec (rs closed deck block,forged Pistons running vos chip) is chewing lots of oil ie if reg using boost a whole dipstick a week. Now it runs fine but when I start her up she lets heaps of white smoke out then stops. It's not steam but oily fuel smell she does not lose any coolant or get hot.

Now she does have a slight miss even with new gapped down plugs through s tecnik in maddington but no missing at all through the rev range. She is booked in with them on 14 October for a compression test any thoughts. The miss at idle is not constant a couple of times every minute.

Thanks mark

Booga 02-10-2014 04:38 PM

Its probably due to it being installed up-side-down

amtrapid 02-10-2014 05:02 PM

sounds like rings . Id be doing a compression test at the least.

Rslib72 02-10-2014 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=amtrapid;809075]sounds like rings . Id be doing a compression test at the least.[/QUOTE]

Yeh that's what the guys at s tecnik seem to think having a quick look at it,hoping it was not ah well will soon find out when the compression test is done....
On the bright side I'm quite impressed how it goes for a tired motor.

Rslib72 02-10-2014 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=Booga;809073]Its probably due to it being installed up-side-down[/QUOTE]

Ha ha just noticed the pic I better go out and flip it over....

matto20v 02-10-2014 07:56 PM

Rather than book it in for just a compression test, how about just simply booking it in to diagnose the problem? A compression test may be a part of the workshops diagnosis, but they might find the problem with their experience of just hearing the engine idle, or drive, or....

What Im getting at is: just ask them to diagnose and let them determine what needs to be done to find the problem?

Does that make sence? I hope so?

Rslib72 02-10-2014 08:04 PM

Yeh cheers mate that's what's going to happen went in explained the prob compression test is just one of the things they are going to do. The guys at s tecnik know there stuff just the slight miss at idle drew there attention to a cylinder dropping. They are flat out till the 14 October so I i'll report on the diagnosis.

Mark

Rslib72 04-10-2014 08:32 PM

Well bugger me silly all my probs with the car at this stage have been due to a blocked pcv valve and all the breather hoses to old and collapsed so deleted the pcv and set up a catch can.Did this yesterday has stopped going through all the oil,missing has stopped at idle along with the smoke.

So fingers crossed it's all good I only checked because a friend of mine with a 1jz chaser had similar probs and told me to check out the pcv valve.

Mark