Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   ticking sound??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/5986-ticking-sound.html)

SPEC IV 10-04-2009 12:03 PM

Thanks mate.

I have jacked up the front and I am missing the weight on the front left. The weights are on the inside of the rim.

The wheel weight that i found on my driveway says "20g" on it.

Thanks all. ;)

Jim621 10-04-2009 12:44 PM

mate, if you know where the weight goes, then just put it back on yourself.

squeeze the clip bit with a pair of pliers so it doesnt fall off again, then just carefully tap it back on with a hammer and screwdriver.

Steve.

SPEC IV 10-04-2009 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=Jim621]mate, if you know where the weight goes, then just put it back on yourself.

squeeze the clip bit with a pair of pliers so it doesnt fall off again, then just carefully tap it back on with a hammer and screwdriver.

Steve.[/QUOTE]

OH.... thought it has to go on a specific spot on the rim to balance the wheel properly????

RichX 10-04-2009 01:49 PM

Tick tick tick tick .. BOOOM.

meatbag 10-04-2009 02:02 PM

It does have to be pretty accurate, but you should have a mark on you wheel were it was. If you can get it within a mm of that you'll be laughing.

Otherwise, I hear wheelsworld is the place to go.

nauli 10-04-2009 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=meatbag]It does have to be pretty accurate, but you should have a mark on you wheel were it was. If you can get it within a mm of that you'll be laughing.

Otherwise, I hear wheelsworld is the place to go.[/QUOTE]

Wheels World are closed for the whole Easter break...

SPEC IV 11-04-2009 09:51 AM

Update: :p

Just went to the new Bridgestone 'i' Select in Ellenbrook to sort out this balancing issue. Stickons this time ;)

Well I came away with a wealth of information.

The new machine he used shows where the tyre needs to be balanced exactly (inside part of rim well) and where the actual rim needs to be balanced (outside part of rim well). Wheel weights DO need to be placed in an exact position.

The machine he has can also balance the wheel spoke by spoke so you don't see any wheel weights as they are hidden behind the spokes of the wheels instead of the wheel well. This process takes about 30mins.

He also said as a general rule bang on weights should only be used on steel wheels. "Static balancing" which most older style balancing machines use.

Rossco 11-04-2009 10:14 AM

You mean that knock on weights should only be used on steel rims don't you ?

SPEC IV 11-04-2009 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=LegacyRS]You mean that knock on weights should only be used on steel rims don't you ?[/QUOTE]

Yep sorry... :p

Edited, post for future readers. Thanks Rossco ;)

Jim621 11-04-2009 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=SPEC IV]OH.... thought it has to go on a specific spot on the rim to balance the wheel properly????[/QUOTE]

Yeah mate, definitely has to go in a specific spot, i thought since you knew it came from the front left you could see the marks where it used to sit.

good stuff on getting her fixed :)

more than worthwhile now you have the stickon weights!

Steve.