Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   ticking sound??? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/5986-ticking-sound.html)

REXLLENT 02-07-2006 12:59 PM

ticking sound???

hey everyone hope all is well.

starting hearing a ticking sound when i am drving at speeds of 45kmph and above. thought i was a rock caught in the tyre but checked all of them, when i go to 60kmph or bit faster, it gets quicker and quciker as i go quicker. but when i brake it slows down.

What could it be?

thanks for the help

Tim

skeptic 02-07-2006 02:05 PM

CV/Boot perhaps?

tuna 02-07-2006 03:07 PM

nail? fractured brake disc?

jEstEr? 02-07-2006 09:44 PM

i remember juston had the same sort of issue and it turned out to be a loose wheel weight. just go over the wheel with a fine tooth and check for rocks / nails etc in the tyre, the wheel weights etc. if you cant find the problem easily, take it to a workshop sooner rather than later

SPEC IV 10-04-2009 10:56 AM

Bumping an old thread.

I'm pretty sure one of my wheel weights off one of my front tyres has come off, as I found it on my driveway. I only got these tyres fitted and balanced a few weeks ago. I have checked as much as I can on the fronts without jacking the car up and rotating the tyre. The rears still have the weights attached.

How does a wheel weight suddenly come off???

What is the danger of continuing to drive without the wheel weight on other than steering wheel shudder (yet to experience this)?

Are tyre shops open tomorrow by chance?? (Easter Saturday???)

Thanks for any help,

Daren

ImPreSiV 10-04-2009 10:57 AM

just means your wheel will be out of balance.... over a short period of time, it wont do much damage, but its worth heading back to a tyre place and getting them re-balanced as soon as possible

SPEC IV 10-04-2009 10:58 AM

when you say "damage" Kym are you referring to tyre wear or something more dramatic??

Pimpreza 10-04-2009 11:21 AM

Don't stress it won't do any damage for the short term, if it's on the front just swap it to the back & you'll barely notice it.

SPEC IV 10-04-2009 11:47 AM

Cheers for the info, will be taking it back to the tyre shop hoefully tomorrow if they are open.

Are stick on ones better than the bash on wheel weights??

I had stick on ones before I got new rubber.

EDIT: Also i was wondering when wheels get balanced, as a general rule do they all require weights??

Luigi 10-04-2009 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=SPEC IV]

EDIT: Also i was wondering when wheels get balanced, as a general rule do they all require weights??[/QUOTE]
No Wheel is perfect so yes they will all require a small weight between 5g to 20g depending on the wheel.

Sometimes the weight can be placed on the inside of the wheel so it does not show on the rim.