Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By D1josh
  • 1 Post By D1josh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level
Default Anyone busted a DCCD centre?

Guys, I am having a continued issue with an undiagnosed noise coming from the drivetrain.

Quick background on the car, V5 STI, started out with a R180 suretrac rear (3.9s), dccd centre and front and 6 speed all from 04 sti (i believe).

I first heard it 6 months ago, i thought the noise was coming from the rear diff, decelerating in any gear, off throttle, you'd hear a click click click click that would slow down as road speed decreased. Clutch in, noise went away.

My shop diagnosed it as a busted rear diff, replaced it with a plated Spec C unit, noise gone.

Fast forward 6 months, lowered the car slightly in the rear, swapped steering wheels over after getting yellow sticker off, now the bottom OPEN setting for the DCCD display no longer illuminates - all other markings do (unsure if this is related, but felt i'd add it).

Drove it down the road, the click click click click is back. This time, if you roll the DCCD from full open, to one click up, the noise becomes almost inaudible, although still there. Again, it sounds as though its only off throttle, but with the exhaust being quite loud its hard to tell. Again, clutch in, noise goes away.

Due to the fact the noise is altered by fucking with DCCD settings, i'm inclined to think it may be a bearing in the dccd centre that has gone, but it doesnt make sense that when i put the clutch in, the noise stops.

Has anyone heard/dealt with anything like this before? I'm a bee's dick away from just dropping it off at the shop and saying diagnose this for me, but felt i'd chuck a post up first to check if anyone has had a similar experience.

cheers!
06STI likes this.

Last edited by D1josh; 18-11-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 18-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

It might just be that the center diff. is locked in the setting that you selected and the drivetrain is straining against the difference in tire speed, front to rear/side to side.
I know when I select anything other than auto in my car 05 STI and make a tight slow turn i get chirp/screech from the diff/tyre.. only on turns tho not going straight or reverse

As to why it doesn't select to green not too sure

04 STI don't have DCCD so must have been an 05 or above
Old 18-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level

can still adjust diff from full open to full lock, so its operating normally. I can make it lock up and clunk if i roll it forward out of FULL OPEN. Its just strange that the noise comes only on decel, off throttle. Which makes me think its a failure of something internal. I think i'm just going to have to drop all the fluids and check for metal.

It's either JDM 04 or JDM GC8 DCCD centre, i'm unsure.
Bruno likes this.

Last edited by D1josh; 18-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Scoobie Noobie

GNB_WRC at standard level

hey mate ihave a late model 04 sti and having the exact same problem. not sure what it is. have u managed to figure it out?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level

Not really - it's still there - although i have a funny feeling its one of the exhaust manifold heat shields, have a look around that area.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Scoobie Noobie

GNB_WRC at standard level

yeh i have that problem aswel. its the turbo heat shield. It has been corroded by rust.

Tags
busted, centre, dccd