Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Huddo at standard level
Default Engine starts, then revs drop and stalls

Hey guys,

My 1999 Forester GT is having an issue where I start the car normally, a second later the check engine light will come on, over the next couple seconds the engine will rev up to around 1.5k (a few hundred higher than when first turning the car on), then will fall off over the next few seconds until the car stalls.

I had been having some issues with the car sputtering while driving, and I decided to pull out the MAF and gave it a clean with some contact cleaner and put it back in. After doing that the car seemed to stop sputtering and run fine as I took it around the block for 5-10 minutes, but coming back to it this morning the car has been giving me the issue described above.

Anyone have any ideas on what could possibly be causing the issue? Let me know if more details are required.
Old 16-12-2014, 06:50 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddo View Post
Hey guys,

My 1999 Forester GT is having an issue where I start the car normally, a second later the check engine light will come on, over the next couple seconds the engine will rev up to around 1.5k (a few hundred higher than when first turning the car on), then will fall off over the next few seconds until the car stalls.

I had been having some issues with the car sputtering while driving, and I decided to pull out the MAF and gave it a clean with some contact cleaner and put it back in. After doing that the car seemed to stop sputtering and run fine as I took it around the block for 5-10 minutes, but coming back to it this morning the car has been giving me the issue described above.

Anyone have any ideas on what could possibly be causing the issue? Let me know if more details are required.
If and engine light has come on take it into a shop or find someone to check the CEL code.

go from there, there's a multitude of causes for what you have described. but considering you messed with the MAF and it drove ok. I'd say yours may be faulty.
Huddo and Jared like this.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
Old 16-12-2014, 10:34 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

It would be handy to get the code that the ECU is coming up with. Willing to try plugging two connectors together under the dash to see if you can get the fault codes? It's not hard to do, "Rossco" posted a thread here on Perth WRX on how to do it (and I think there are pictures too!)

On the topic, I've had a similar idle problem pop up recently with a MY99/00 WRX, although not as bad as yours. With mine, when coming to a set of lights, or stop sign, the revs drop to about 500rpm and then slowly creep up to 750-800 rpm. Happens 50% of the time. No starting issues. The check engine light comes on when coasting in gear, down hill. The code for mine is 24 - Idle air control valve.

People who know Subarus well tell me this is a very common problem. It might be what you're experiencing too?

Try google but do be careful because some posts will suggest everything from airflow meter, to throttle position sensor, to the speedo not sending a speed signal to the ECU. Next thing, you're at the doctor because you think the red lump on your testicles is herpes.
Huddo and Jared like this.
Old 17-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Huddo at standard level

All right, so it seems first thing to do will be to check the fault code and go from there. Probably wont have time to check it out until the weekend with Christmas shopping and work taking up the majority of my time.

Will update once I get the chance to rad the code this weekend.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 17-12-2014, 02:24 PM
STI Master

Here is how to read codes in pre 2001 models.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ec...unit-only.html
Old 17-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Check your spark plugs, and ensure all inter-cooler piping is secured.
Old 17-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

chances are you afm is stuffed, often cleaning them will fix them for a little while with the problem returning, did the car ever have an oiled k&n filter on it? they are a know cause for killing afms

i would replace the afm first thing as they are relatively cheap for your model

Nissan Patrol ZD30DDTI GU 3.0 00-04 air flow meter maf afm ZD30DI | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia Belmont Area - Cloverdale | 1064049933
Old 17-12-2014, 09:58 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

My money is on AFM.
Old 18-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Grrilla at standard level

My WRX tuner posted on FB about this the other day, he said (as others here have) it will generally either be AFM or possibly the O2 sensor requiring replacement - figured it would apply to the GT too.
Old 18-12-2014, 11:02 AM
STI Master

Might be best that we all wait until he pulls the CEL code?

Tags
drop, engine, revs, stalls, starts