Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Scoobie Noobie

paz at standard level
Default 98 rexxy with a cough and maybe more.

Hi folks, got a 1998 wrx with an issue or two I'm trying to sort out and hoping for some advice.

With hard throttle it is coughing, spluttering, hiccuping or what ever you want to call it at about 4500rpm to 5000 rpm, I've found though if you do not throttle it so hard (sort of off boost) it will rev past this with little to no cough.

I've done the "join the two black wires" together trick under the dash and it has thrown a #23 (afm), #22 (knock sensor) and #32 (O2 sensor).

Pulled the afm and gave it a good clean Sunday with contact cleaner then took it for a run, whilst out joined both wires togther as explained here on the forum as being the proper way to reset the ecu and it only threw an O2 sensor code and thought great will order one.

So fast forward to today and I've got the new O2 sensor (apparently right one) and went to fit it, find out the plug on the end is slightly different and will not plug in but looks like someone has cut the end off the current sensor and soldered what looks to be the original plug/wires onto it, worked out I could just pull the wires out of both old and new plug and swap the ends over making sure they went back as they were.

Took it for a run and did the ecu reset again and it has come back with the same code whilst running (O2) and cough is still there.

Any tips where to go to now?
Old 23-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

magic1 knows their stuff

start by not calling it a rexxy
Old 24-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Scoobie Noobie

paz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic1 View Post
start by not calling it a rexxy
Not appropriate huh

Problem fixed yesterday, found a massive air leak into the manifold from a bodgy boost guage install then a new set of plugs properly gapped, goes like the clappers again.

Tags
98, cough, rexxy